Lost use of my cursor and all ability to navigate after removing an infection

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnny Sokko, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Johnny Sokko

Johnny Sokko Private E-2

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not. This issue stems from malware, but the infection is no longer present — as I reformatted my computer. This is more of a general computer-related question.

Here's what I need help with. . . .

Last month a rogue security site slipped past my anti-virus protection. Upon what I thought was removal of the infection by MBAM, I rebooted my computer. Upon start up, I discovered that my mouse cursor was no longer working. The arrow keys on my keyboard were also not working. I was not able to do anything on my screen because of that. I couldn't even attempt to do a system restore (or anything) because I had no ability to navigate in order to select choices or to click on anything. I was completely handicapped, so I felt I had no other choice but to reformat.

Last night, the same exact thing happened again. I picked up the same infection again from a threat called XP Antispyware 2012. This is the same infection that I had last month, and the same thing happened again after I cleaned it up and tried restarting my computer. No more use of my mouse or my cursor, nor of my arrow keys. Completely handicapped — again! So I was forced to reformat — again!

What I want to know is if this should ever happen again, is there some way to get the use of my mouse, cursor, or arrow keys back — so that I can use my computer and attempt to finish fixing it?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I like to use Tweaking.com Windows repair, it should be able to fix the problem and any others:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_d7141.html

That said, you might not have totally repaired your computer even though you thought you did. The new Antispyware 2012 is renaming and restarting files so when you delete these files from startup, it renames them and executes them again.

Always run a second utility like SuperAntispyware. Always run a scan when you think your clean from safe mode (reboot, tap f8 until you get a "safe mode" option).

Consider making an image fo your computer when you have it like you want. A few programs do this like Norton Ghost:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Ghost_d4842.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds