Loud beep on Volume control is driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, Mar 16, 2004.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

The volume control on our Windows 2000 machine is driving us crazy. We have our speakers running our the back and into a surround system, and the louder the volume on our surround is set, the louder the beep when we adjust the volume on the computer icon in the tray.
    I've searched all over and tried muting the wav file in the master volume control, but that only mutes the sound of what I'm trying to listen too.
    Any ideas?
    Eric

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Eric I edited this because G.T.'s post nailed it. :) Mine didn't work too well.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  3. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

again, im not sure about in oterh versions, but in xp, if you double click on the volume icon in the task bar, it will take you to advanced volume properties, there should be a stting there for pc beep

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Eric, go into Sound Schemes from Device Manager. Change the "Default Beep" to "None", and it won't make any more noise.

5. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

G.T. nailed it. Worked great here. :)

6. eclayton

Are you talking about Sounds and Multimedia from the Control Panel, or somewhere from Device Manager? I couldn't find anything called Sound Schemes in Device Manager, but in Sounds and Multimedia, I found it, and I had already unchecked all sounds, and am still getting the annoying beep.
    I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, btw.
    Eric

7. G.T.

Yeah, it should be in Sounds and Multimedia. Where you can choose and change what sounds play for what events. It SHOULD be in there. Windows has handled that about the same in all versions of Windows. Did you check ALL events? After the default Windows events, there are generally others listed for other applications. Possibly something added by your soundcard applications?

If nothing in that list is doing it, I'm clueless.

8. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I found it in the sounds,,, in the windows default list,,

9. eclayton

Yeah, I actually removed ALL SOUNDS from there....it's driving me nuts.

I may just turn it on again, apply it, and then turn it off again, just in case it didn't "take" before. :rolleyes: I'm not sure why it isn't working...

edit: That didn't work. I'm bummin here......:(

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  10. G.T.

Wherever Windows 2000 puts it, it should look something like this, where you can both sample and change each individual event sound:

Attached Files:

11. eclayton

Yep, that's where I'm at. When I change it TO Windows default, it changes to a nice little ding sound (actually called ding.wav) and when I change that to NONE, it gives me the beep sound.

12. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Eric,, maybe find Default.wav,,, and edit it to have no sound.

There is a program called Goldwave, that has a free trial. It can cut the sound out, and be saved as the original .wav. just no sound.

13. eclayton

Well, I searched for that file, and I can't find it....I'm not sure what the exact sound is called, but it's not default beep. :(

I'm going to bed, I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone has any ideas.

I appreciate you guys. Thanks a bunch.

Eric

14. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Eric,

Try this, double click on the volume control in the system tray and look at the PC Beep Balance (go to Options/Properties and check on PC Beep if not displayed), and check on mute. See if that will work. This is what DanTekGeek is referring to.

15. eclayton

That looks so so good, except for some reason, the pc beep selection is not included in my master volume control! :confused: What the heck is going on with my machine? I went to properties to see if I could find it, but all I have is what is here.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Nvidia mixer device?

Attached Files:

16. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Eric, down at the bottom of that list (Show the following volume controls) there should be a 'PC Beep' or 'PC Speaker' entry.

Put a check there > OK > then it should show up in the Mixer and you can mute it.

17. G.T.

May have something to do with what soundcard/sound software you've got. I don't have an option for adding/changing beep volume in mine either. (WinXP & Audigy 2).

Eric, I'd look around in your Nvidia sound related software & see if there's anything there related to that beep. What you're hearing is not related to Windows default sounds.

18. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Hi Eric
    As far as im aware turning off all sounds will make windows use your pc speaker to create the beep, hence the fact you wont find the beep its just the default action for the speaker

So if im understanding you right when you select a sound scheme like windows default you can hear the ding.wav,but you dont want to hear that either,or any windows sounds for that matter

My suggestion then would be to assign the ding,wav as the action for this event then use the program suggested by Dperino to wipe that out so its an empty file,meaning you shouldnt hear anything at all :)

Forgive me if im completly off track here

19. cindysnoopy

cindysnoopy Shotgun!

No, you're not off track, I think you and GT have the answer somewhere between you and dperino!! :D

Can you walk me through the steps to changing that file? I've never done that before.

Thanks again, you guys. I sure appeciate this.

Eric

20. G.T.

You don't need to change a file. What you need to do is to create a new .wav file that's basically just a second or so of silence, and use that as the "default beep" sound in the Windows Sounds, since THAT plays when it's active instead of the strange beep that's evidently generated somewhere else.

You don't need any special program. Open Windows Sound Recorder. Should be in Start/Accessories/Entertainment (may be a bit different in Win2000, but it should be there). Make sure nothing is making any sound on your computer, as you're going to record whatever is playing. Nothing in this case. From the top menu choose File, and New. Click the record button (the one with the round dot), and immediately click the Stop button (with the square). You've now recorded a short snip of silence, but it IS still a .wav file. Choose Save As, name it something like Silence.wav, and save it to your Windows/Media folder, where all the other standard sounds are, then choose that file as the "Default Beep" sound in Windows Sounds. You should now play a second of nothing whenever you change the volume, which should overide the beep that you don't want.

21. cindysnoopy

cindysnoopy Shotgun!

That did it Gary! Thanks!

In fact, your directions were so good that I did it (Cindy) :D

I think I might miss that BOOP sound that makes me jump everytime Eric adjusts the sound....

...NOT :D :D :D

22. G.T.

LOL. Glad it worked. :)

23. eclayton

Hey thanks once again, everyone! Thanks for taking the time to help us fix this stupid problem! Gary, you rock!! :cool:

Eric

24. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

*group hug* :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds