Loud Beep...then shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by DAGR80NE, Aug 24, 2006.

1. DAGR80NE

DAGR80NE Private E-2

how can i fix or know that i have a malicious program in my PC?
    Yesterday i was trying to burn a movie. First i have to decrypter and i used dvd shrink (i have been using this program for a year now) and after i back it up (100%) I heard a loud beep and then it shut down. I re-started 5 more time and try to do the same and i have the same output.
    Can anybody please advise?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

More info ...what exactly happens ...how far do you get on the boot up ...do you get a boot beep?

3. DAGR80NE

DAGR80NE Private E-2

OK
    I used the "dvd shrink" to decrypt and sonic to burn.
    When it finished to analyze the movie (next step is putting my blank dvd and use sonic to burn it) it makes the beep and shutdown.
    When i rebooted i see the movie in the folder.

4. TimW

Beeping usually means an improper keyboard action ...but doesn't usually result in a shut down ....go to control panel / admin. tools / event viewer / and look in both system and applications for most recent errors (X) ...can look them up at:
    http://www.eventid.net

5. DAGR80NE

DAGR80NE Private E-2

Another scenario.
    I have Thunderbird by Mozilla as my email client.
    When i check for my new messages it does the same after i finished downloading the messages makes the beep and then shutdown. This has been happened for the last 5 days. The dvd burning just happened yesterday.
    I don't know much about this but it looks like a malicioous program that is running in the processes or something like that.

6. DAGR80NE

DAGR80NE Private E-2

thanx for the info TimW

7. TimW

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Event viwer is the most common thing to NOT look into, when there is an error. What I mean by this, it is one of best troubleshooting tools out there.

Another thing to look into is removing the "automatically reboot" options with:

Right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then the ADVANCED tab, then under START UP AND RECOVERY hit SETTINGS. Now, Uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Press OK, OK. Now, if this were to happen again, you should see that a possible BSOD (Blues Screen Of Death) appears. This is also a good trouble shooting note to look into.

Escpecially if it gives ye a file, or a 0x000000xx error.

In addition a memory dump should be placed within: c:\windows\minidump. These files are very good info on what happened at the time of the issue.

Recently, in your situation and mine, I had the same issue. I found that my CPU fan was bad, I replaced it, and now more issues came to me.

9. DAGR80NE

DAGR80NE Private E-2

thanks a lot for the tips.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds