Loud noise during boot - stops when windows loads

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ah577, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ah577

ah577 Private E-2

Hello:
    My computer is making a loud "grinding" noise when right when it is turned on until Windows done loading. It is like clockwork that it will stop once Windows is done loading each time. I had read that it may have to do with the fan on the power supply and that it takes a minute for it to warm up. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can get it to stop? Or if it will harm my computer if I continue to let it run this way. As I said, once windows loads it is quiet as ever and runs perfect.

I am running
    Windows XP Home
    1 Gig Ram
    P4 3.00GHz

Thanks

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

my fans always speed up when i turn the computer on so it probably is a fan. open your case and see if you can pinpoint the noise, the fan that is making the noise should be replaced soon or it could die and an expensive component could burn up ,like your cpu.

3. ah577

ah577 Private E-2

That was quick, thanks! I figure it is the fan on the processor. I am not the most advanced person when it comes to dealing with components inside the computer (though I do have enough experience to feel comfortable doing it). Is it very difficult to take that fan off and just put a new one on? Is there a special one I should buy? Also, I have seen a lot of people mention thermal compound, is it recommended that I use that also?

Thanks for all the help on this, I appreciate it.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The fan is usually mounted to the heatsink with screws. If you do not wish to replace the CPU cooler, unscrew and replace the fan only. Of course, if the price is right, you could replace the whole fan and heatsink assembly with a more efficient aftermarket model. If you replace the heatsink, though, you will definitely need thermal compound.

5. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

yeah, whgat he said. also I think it would be wise to get a heatsink/fan combo and some thermal grease. zalman makes good fans. installation is really pretty easy, just make sure the heatsink is making good contact and the new fan is plugged in, it would suck to fry a cpu. if you wanna pinpoint the fan problem boot into bios and stop the fans with your finger, just for a second, youc an also use the funnel up to your ear method. and I would also suggest checking your temps in the bios to see howhot your pc is running, if it is cool you might as well just stick with the heatsink and replace the fan only.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds