Lovely Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrodgers, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mrodgers

mrodgers Private E-2

Okay, here is something that has been happening for the past, oh, 24 hours.

I was going through the cleaning the computer of any possible bad stuff thread (and yes, following everything to the letter):

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

What should happen when I try to start RootRepeal? It starts up, but IMMEDIATELY after it starts the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" popup comes along, followed within seconds by the Windows Explorer is restarting popup. This has now been going on every 10 seconds or so, escalating my frustrations. It has taken me well over 10 minutes to type THIS much.

What I have tried since, to no avail:

-starting in safe mode
    -tried to delete that damned RootRepeal file from existence but windows explorer will not let me
    -disabling all startup services (still happens)
    -currently doing a malwarebytes scan
    -did the whole cmd then sfc thingy (still happens)
    -system restore to an earlier known working date (still happens)
    -repair with a recovery disc (didn't want to complete that one)
    -chkdsk /f/r (whattya know, didn't work!)
    -ran CC cleaner again, including its registry stuff
    -tried restoring it to a different known working point (still does it!)

Only being able to get to the cmd point using task manager, as well as being on my 15th minute typing out a message that would normally take MAYBE two following instructions from another thread on this particular site, is annoying as heck. I'm sorry if this rubs some people the wrong way, but at this point I came to the source. If anyone has any ideas OTHER than reinstalling the entire OS and thereby wiping out everything I have, please let em fly. I'm running an HP Pavilion a6110n with 2 GB RAM, so no, I wasn't silly to follow those instructions with less than what it advised.. Thanks!

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

according to the malware removal instructions, you need to follow them in the order they are presented to you. Meaning, run root repeal after malwarebytes. And if you can't get one to work, then just move along to the next step. If you are having some serious issues with getting anything to work, then your best bet might just be to reinstall the OS. there are different ways to retrieve any important files before reinstalling.

good luck :)

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Were you able to generate logs from the procedure. Root Repeal is step 4, so you should have logs from SAS, M-bam, and combo fix.

If yes, you should probably start a thread in the malware forum. It is not unusal to run into problems when going through the process.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds