Low Volume on Toshiba E205-S1904 Laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomg, Mar 10, 2010.

1. tomg

tomg Private First Class

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite E205-S1904 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, i5 processor.

When playing video or audio files, or streaming from hulu or you tube....the max volume on this thing is pathetic. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the two sound drivers (audio and HD)....which I downloaded at Toshiba.com. I have been into every conceivable menu and submenu I can find on this laptop to try and get the volume to increase, but no luck.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try this, weird fix but did help some users during the beta test and could help now as dont think anything was changed in the code from beta to release.

Open Control Panel, Hardware and Sound then Sound then click the Communications tab and set the optio to "Do nothing" and click Apply, maybe worth a reboot and test audio again.

Does this only happen with online streaming or with local audio/video files?

3. tomg

tomg Private First Class

That setting on the communications tab was already as you describe.

Sound quality sucks on this machine....but the volume is much lower when streaming from hulu or you tube than playing video or sound files

i downloaded the pay version of dfx enhancer, and that didnt do much either

thanks for trying to help

4. DavidGP

Hi

Apart from checking with Toshiba on this as it seems to be a big problem for many Toshiba users of various laptops, check in the Audio Properties/Realtek Audio Manager for settings to do with Loudness etc

5. tomg

tomg Private First Class

Thanks again....my solution will be to use headphones if I want to listen to something.

On a separate note...the WiDi on this machine is unbelievably good. I am using the Netgear Push2Tv adaptor that came with it in a Best Buy bundle, and the video and sound that wirelessly stream from the laptop to my 52 inch Samsung LCD are amazing quality. Hulu content is especially good...youtube depends on the source (I guess??).

Anyway....the laptop internal speakers' sound sucks but the WiDi makes up for that limitation.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Yeah the headphones are a good workaround, until Toshiba get some good drivers released.

Wondered in the real world with WiDi would be like as not seen or use a PC with that technology yet, but from your experience it sounds a good addition to have, cheers for posting that info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds