Low Volume - Realtek HD Audio ALC888S - XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lost Human, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Lost Human

Lost Human Private E-2

Not sure what information I need to provide for you guys to help, but basically I have installed many different realtek drivers and still get very low volume. My speakers are not powered, but compared to the computer I just upgraded from there is a huge difference i.e. drop in volume. I have unplugged the hd audio plug for the front panel audio on the case thinking this might resolve the issue but no luck. I checked the bios and the onboard audio is checked for auto, the only other option being disable.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium III Xeon, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Unknown
    System Memory 2560 MB
    BIOS Type Award (06/25/08)

Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (512 MB)
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (96073CA003160)

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter Realtek HD Audio output

Storage
    IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller JMicron JMB36X Controller
    Disk Drive Hitachi HDS721010KLA SCSI Disk Device (931 GB)
    Disk Drive USB-HS WDC WD2500BB-00R USB Device (232 GB, USB)
    Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7221A
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 953859 MB (943103 MB free)
    D: (FAT32) 238414 MB (127 MB free)
    Total Size 1164.3 GB (921.1 GB free)

Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network
    Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (192.168.1.45)

Peripherals
    USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Problems & Suggestions
    Problem Disk free space is only 0% on drive D:.

Device Properties

Driver Description: Realtek High Definition Audio
    Driver Date: 6/27/2008
    Driver Version: 5.10.0.5653
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    INF File: oem0.inf
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_10DE0175&REV_1001
    Location Information: Internal High Definition Audio Bus

One thing I came across when looking at the NVIDIA control panel was, "nforce audio not reported." Might that have something to do with the problem?? :confused

2. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

I would get 'Everest Home Edition', that should detect the motherboard. And then get the realtek drivers from the motherboard manufacturers site. See if that helps for a start.
    Sounds like a driver issue to me.

3. Lost Human

Lost Human Private E-2

I have installed the audio driver "WDM_R204" which I got from the XFX website, but this did not resolve the issue. In fact I have installed several different realtek drivers, both older, and newer, but I get the same problem with very low volume. If I go into the realtek HD audio manager/mixer, I can get the sound a bit higher if I change the setting from line out (2CH Speaker) to headphones (2CH speaker), except this merely seems to boost the higher end signals and is still obviously much lower than it should be. There's nothing wrong with the speakers themselves, since I have plugged them into another computer I have and they work fine.

4. Lost Human

Lost Human Private E-2

I was also wondering about this little circuit that came with my Raidmax Smilodon computer case that's about 1-2 inches long, and says speaker on it. Should I have plugged this into the motherboard somewhere?

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

Sounds like you need newer speakers. You stated non powered which they used to send with older pc's which were setup for non powered speakers whereas nowadays all speakers are powered. Even a cheap 20 dollar walmart set would probably give you the volume levels.

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Lost.

IBB is 100% correct. Line output will not drive non-amplified speakers.

Jim

7. Lost Human

Lost Human Private E-2

Thanks for the replies from everyone. If this is the case, then what is the difference between the older motherboards and the newer ones? Did the older motherboards have some type of an amplifier built in?

The only other computer I have is an HP 8665C, which is around 10 years old, and the speakers I'm using came with the monitor for that system. Polk audio, the kind that attach to the side of the monitor. I do have some cheap powered speakers somewhere, so I'll dig around for those and see what happens.

The NVIDIA control panel still says, "nforce audio not reported." What significance does that have?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I had the same sort of speakers and found out the volume was abysmal! Buy powered speakers, you won't be sorry.

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Lost,

Many years ago the audio output from the sound cards was 8 ohms to drive speakers/headphones directly. Then came cards with 8 ohm (Spkr) and 600 Ohm (Line out) jacks so anything could be used. Then they dropped the 8 ohm outputs completely. Now only 600 ohms (Line OUt) is supplied. You must have powered (amplified) speakers or an external amp for the EarPhones to get any usable volume.

Luck, Jim

10. Lost Human

Lost Human Private E-2

The times they are a changing, haha. Well I found the cheapo (looks like the brand is CA?) powered speakers, and they are working just fine. The only problem I ran into is that they make this constant clicking noise and pick up my local country music station, which makes it even worse!! I assume this is because they aren't shielded properly since when I move them around I can reduce the interference.

What is a good site to pick up some decent powered speakers? Any suggestion for specific brands, or models? The only computer sites I have purchased from are tigerdirect.com and newegg.com.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds