Machine Check Exception, System hangs, halts, bluescreens, reboots randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by basementman, Mar 27, 2005.

1. basementman

basementman Private E-2

System issue: Random re-boot, sometimes get blue screen with:
    Machine_Check_Exception
    Stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0x8054DA70, 0xA2000000, 0x8401400)
    Sometimes the machine just hangs/freezes. I can make it hang if I copy files over a Workgroup network to another machine (This gives no errors in the event viewer). I was just on-line and it re-booted so I am writing this off-line.
    This time the event viewer system log is reporting:
    Source: System Error, Category(102), Event ID: 1003 Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, pramater4 00000000.
    Then I get two browser related Warnings:
    Source: BROWSER Category: None Event ID 8021
    Then two more Erros:
    Source BROWSER, Category: None, Event ID 8032, The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip{14341EF1-7047-4EB9-B413-16DF1E86AB69}. The backup browser is stopping.
    Followed with the last error:
    Source: BROWSER, Category: None, Event ID: 8032, The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NwlnkNb. The backup browser is stopping.

I am not sure if these errors are directly related to the hang/halt I am experiencing but, I am not sure what to do next.

System:
    Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
    VIA 82C3148 rev 0
    Microsoft Windows XP Ver 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Clean install was XP Home)
    512 MB Ram (two chips)
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    HDD Samsung SP0802N 80GB (6.35 GB in use)
    Motherboard not sure can’t find a name on it anywhere I did see a number:
    P4MFP533

I have checked the drivers, scanned the system, checked it for spyware, it is running McAfee security suite since XP was installed, disconnected the CDRW, floppy, to eliminate that hardware, removed the memory and installed a 256 DDR chip, I have gone into the BIOS and disabled the network card and video card and replaced them with an AGP video card and 3COM card and it still freeze-hang or blue screen or re-boot. I also set the BIOS to defaults and set it up to maximize the system no change.

My guess is a BIOS upgrade is needed but I can’t tell which one so I hedge in doing that.

The system is about 2 years old and it originally had XP Home. I installed XP Professional on a new HDD.

All the hardware in device manager looks good no yellow or red tick marks.

Things I haven’t done: Change out the power supply, replace the CPU, change out the motherboard.

It’s late and I hope this makes some sense when I read it in the morning.

Ewww geez it just rebooted as I am trying to post this thread error 102 event id 1003

Thx in advance! :eek:

2. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

how old is your hard drive? i kept getting blue screens once because one of my hd's had a bad sector that was unrepairable. everytime i put it under a load i would get the blue-screen-o-death. i might have dropped it, i dunno. they say if you drop a hard drive more than 2 feet it will more than likely be ruined. so after i took it out, i dropped it from a 3rd story balcony. :D

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

4. basementman

basementman Private E-2

Thx Kodo, Checked all the systems on the lan and all have file and printer sharing on. This error seems to be new to what I've encountered before. Anyway the system still crashes when I try to copy files from one systems to another. Today I cleared all the errors from the System event viewer before my test and the only failure I see is:Source System Error, Category (102), Event ID: 1003,Description: Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8054da70, parameter3 a20000000, parameter4 84010400.
    Still looking for advice.

5. basementman

basementman Private E-2

Thx Subwyking,
    The drive is new with a clean install of XP w/ SP2.
    ty

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

some driver on your machine is causing an error.
    Start updating the drivers and start with your network card, then video, sound, motherboard etc.

7. basementman

basementman Private E-2

I uninstalled the sound drivers, disabled the network and video card in the system BIOS and installed a 3Com and AGP card and I ran www.drivershq.com update program it still crashes not sure what else to do... ty

8. basementman

basementman Private E-2

Thanks for all that replied, I found out that the mobo was a Elements P4MFP533 and I found one update to the BIOS on thier website so I flashed it and so far no more MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPIONS!!

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

awesome.. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds