Major Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blazerman85k5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. blazerman85k5

blazerman85k5 Private E-2

Hi,,
    Well, here goes: I was cleaning my computer...I remembered I needed to check my RAM (i was intending an upgrade), so i removed it for any useful info i could get. That accomplished, I reinstalled it and finished cleaning. When I restarted, NOTHING!!!! blank screen and no booting.......PLEASE HELP!!!

MY SYSTEM:

gigabyte motherboard-GA-7DRX
    amd athalon 1.4 processor
    256 ddr ram
    300w powersupply
    geforce4 mx-440
    2 40 gig hard drives
    pioner dvd rom drive
    nec 1100a dvd/cd burner
    sound blaster live

2. seraph00

seraph00 Private E-2

A few possible suggestions.

1. Check to make sure you put the RAM back into the same slot you took it out of and that it is seated firmly. If it is even slightly sticking out of the RAM slot, the motherboard won't detect having it, and in turn won't boot.

2. Always make certain that you not only turn the power off, but also unplug any computer you are working on and/or touching internal parts on.

3. Always ground yourself somehow, if nothing else by keeping a free hand on the case or something, even a small spark of static electricity(small enough that you yourself barely notice it) can fry parts inside a computer and make them unusable. If that happens to be the case then there is no repair option for whichever component got zapped, and it whichever one it is will need to be replaced.

3. blazerman85k5

1. The RAM was put in firmly in the same slot.

2. The power was off, as a matter of fact I NEVER work on my comp, without everything disconnected.

3. I believe I was grounded and I felt no discharge.

4. I built my computer and know it well............

5. I apperciate ANY and ALL suggestions!

A further question, Does anyone think the the battery back-up might have somethin 2 do with this??

Normally I hear a beep a few seconds after I power up, now I do not even hear that. I thought my vid card might have been fried(by static, or just crapped out), but when I installed the present card(the former one died), I heard beeping but no pic, so I hooked up another monitor, and beep, and no vid. So i installed a new 1 and it worked fine.

That is what has me SO concerned, I'm no expert, but I'm no dummy either, It just doesn't make sense................

Thanx AGAIN!!

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

What did you use to clean or how?
    When try to boot does anything power up fans leds?
    Is the power switch on the back of the PSU on?
    Maybe when cleaning some wiring got loosen up or disconnected?
    Battery back up?? disconnect try with out, check Electric outlet has power?

5. blazerman85k5

ASUS,

In reply to your suggestions:

1> I used compressed air(can)

2>Fans power up, drives work, no led's though

3>power switch is on

4>Checked and rechecked all wires( i've had nothing better to do!!!)

5>The outlet has power, and what I meant was the small 3v round battery on the MOBO.( I'm grasping for anything.............LOL)

Thanx for the suggestions, as you can see I've been tryin EVERYTHING I can think of...............Mabey I did something to the RAM chip itself.........It looks to be ok, but as someone suggested earlier, I might have hit it with some static..............dont think so, but as it will not boot without RAM..........its a good and relatively inexpensive place to start.........as I may have to be buying MANY new parts.............................pray for me..................LOL........just tryin 2 keep my sense of humor............thanx AGAIN everyone.........any further suggestions are HUGELY appreciated!!!

6. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

UUUuummmmmm... is there any sign of an activity light.. dvd rom & RW lights , PSU fans..any clicks or beeps, is all add ons.ie. printer etc, disconnected.. have you tried a cold boot. strip/disconnect all but the RAM and screen... as this sounds like a power problem to me. Try beg another stick of ram and try the cold boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds