major geeks icon

Discussion in 'Software' started by jdeh, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

how do I get the major geeks icon to display on my desktop instead of the default Internet Explorer one? I used to have the MG one but don't know how to get it back.

Thanks, Bo Bo :p

2. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

First, go to the main page, then in the address bar add at the end of the address w/o quotes "favicon.ico". This should like like this http://www.majorgeek.com/favicon.ico. When the image appears, right click on it and save it to your computer as "majorgeek.ico", or whatever you want to name it. On the shortcurt for Majorgeeks, go into its properties and change the icon to point the majorgeek.ico you had just saved and voila! :)

This method will work for any site that has an company logo as an icon (the "favicon.ico" file).

I don't know why IE doesn't retain the icon for each site on subsequent visits, but I believe other non-IE based browsers, like Firefox, do display the icon correctly without resorting to this method I've explained.

3. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

You can also use the free program 'Irfanview' to make icons out of most any graphics that you have saved on your HD. There is a pulldown menu in this program where you have several options to "save as".
    In this case you would save as 'Windows Icon' (.ico) (if you are using a MS OS)

Irfanview download - http://majorgeeks.com/download4253.html

There are also other programs that will make icons, restore them etc. here at Major Geeks:)

As for why they dissappear I would like to know that myself :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds