Major Geeks site slow to initialize and scroll

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Running XP sp3 with IE8 and fully patched desktop. MG site has always loaded and displayed quickly and allowed for immediate page scrolling. It has recently slowed up considerably on this machine. Have checked all IE settings and Windows configuration and cannot determine cause for slowdown. Also disabled AV but page still slow to display the new software listing and allow quick scrolling. Anyone opening MG on IE having this ssue?

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just checked the site with XP, 7 and Mint. All is well here. Have you tried another browser? Cleared your cache?

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks for reply. I did install Firefox for comparison and MG loads, displays, and scrolls faster. Still the slowdown in IE is a recent event. If CCleaner clears the cache then yes, if not how to clear it otherwise?

4. cipher

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks...will follow thru on recomendation and check outcome.

6. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

MG home still slow to fully display and scroll, other MG pages likewise. Remember me login also inconsistent. Have checked everything I know to check. Can not relate the slow response to any recent IE or Windows actions, and it appears to be the only visited website exhibiting this condition on the pc.

7. cipher

OK, IE is slow for just one site. Correct? MG is fine in other browsers, and IE shows no slowness for other sites, correct?

You might flush DNS:

Start>Run> type in CMD and in the command prompt window type ipconfig /flushdns

8. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

MG seems to be the only noticeable slowed site. Possible the behavior will change at some point. I flushed the DNS with no effect. Installed FF and Chrome and no issue in those apps. Thanks. Will post update if resolved or improves.

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Resolved in part. Disabling the Java SSV and 2SSV plug-in helpers has helped, but still unable to match the speed of Chrome.

10. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

I've also just reinstalled XPP-SP3, but I noticed several slow sites both before & after. MG is one. I keep most helpers turned off, and I haven't installed Java.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds