Major Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by slemmers001, Mar 21, 2010.

1. slemmers001

slemmers001 Private E-2

I am running in to a wall trying to resolve this keyboard issue.
    I have a Gateway desktop computer that has a Gateway keyboard connected to the PS2 port. I have had some recent virus issues that seem to be resolved, but the keyboard will not fuction. The lights come on during boot, but they keyboad will not type any characters. The mouse is USB and seems to be working fine.

I installed a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse hoping to solve this issue, and this will not type either!!

Please help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack?

Can you boot into Safe Mode and they keyboard works ok?

Its very possible that the virus (do you still have the name of it handy by any chance) has corrupted a fair bit of the OS, so options are a quick system file check (start > Run > type sfc /scannow and hit enter, if Windows Vista or Windows 7 then this needs to be done from an elevated command prompt *type cmd into the start search box and then right click cmd and choose run as) may need your or a Windows disk thats similar.

or a repair install and in XP that can be done using the info HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds