Major Trouble Un-Installing/Re-Installing MSXML 4.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by arcueil_1, Jul 21, 2011.

1. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted on MG! Glad to be back, sort of... ;)

I want to re-install MSXML 4.0 due to a problem I'm having with it not allowing BGLComp to compile. BGLComp is a flight simulation XML compiler from MS.

Basically, the trouble I'm having is that when I de-install MSXML 4.0 SP2 or SP3, no change at all takes place in the System32 or SysWOW64 folders (my OS W7-64HP), yet the add-remove programs show that it/they are not there anymore. The same happens in reverse: if I install v4 SP2 and/or SP3, add-remove tells me that they are installed but the folders have not changed at all. I've done this six or seven times with UAC off and have restarted the machine between each step.

This is odd, in view that I'm the sole Administrator and User on this computer, and I always log in as Administrator and run everything as such too (right-click Admin.). Shouldn't I be able to install things in those folders, especially if they are MS MSIs? Is this some sort of permissions issue? Maybe something happened to the registry vis-a-vis MSXML 4.0 and the OS doesn't know what to do... which brings me back to the reason why I'm trying to de-install/re-install v4.

Please help, as I really need to be able to compile BGLs via BGLComp, which needs a proper install of MSXML 4! Thanx.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. arcueil_1

arcueil_1 Private E-2

Thank you for the link. I'm not having a problem with windows update though, and have used Method 2 several times.

Do you know if v4 SP2 needs to be installed alng with SP3, or will SP3 suffice?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry, I'm clueless because none of my computers runs Windows 7 so I can't sneak a peek and see what I'd have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds