Make Windows 7 go to desktop after sleep/opening lid

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mishtyy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

I have a new windows 7 laptop, and a minor annoyance for me is every time I put it in sleep mode either by closing the lid or pressing the power button, when I resume work I get a screen that has my username with 'locked' under it, and gives me an option to switch users, as well as accessibility options in the bottom left corner. I want it to go directly to the desktop when I open the lid or wake it up from sleep mode, is it possible?

I made it 'do nothing' when closing the lid, and that seems to halfway solve the issue, but all it does is just turn off the display. I want it to go to sleep to save power, but not have to click my username every time.

I checked google many times but for some reason I can't find an answer there. The screen I"m getting is the same if I press the windows key + L.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

See if this works for you.

Control Panel>System and Security>Power Options. Select Require a Password on wakeup. Check Don't require a password. Click save changes

3. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

both of the options are grayed out, I think it's because I didn't make a password.

I'm the only person that's going to use this so I really don't need any security stuff.

4. tgell

You have to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". Then you should be able to change it. Even if you do not use a password, you still need to change it to "Do not use a password".

5. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Oh, thanks, I completely didn't see that

All is good now, thanks for the help

6. tgell

Your Welcome and thank you for the feedback. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds