making a system disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NationalAcrobat, Oct 7, 2004.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

I am gonna need a system disk when I get my system put together.

Can I make a disk with my current PC that will install windows(XP) on my new system?

or will i still need to buy a XP disk?

my current system is a compaq, so the OS disk is part of the restore set(not sure if it can be used for other systems at all).

I think I'll be alright with installing all my components, but i have no experience with BIOS.

While I'm on the subject, will I need a floppy drive for the first boot up process, because i never use floppies, (i have that compaq system restore CD) and I dont want to buy a floppy drive unless I need it.

thx for your input.

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

So, are you building a new computer or something? I am confused on what you need. If you are just reformatting your Compaq, than you could use your restore CD's. If you are not going to use the Compaq anymore and build a new system on your own, you probably need to get a new Windows XP CD.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The Compaq restore disc contains the OS and drivers specifically for your Compaq computer. It won't work properly on your new computer unless it is exactly the same as the Compaq, if it even boots. You will need a license (the product key is a proof of license) for each computer. If you plan on using both computers, you will need two licenses, there is no legal way around it. Most places will sell an OEM version (without the two microsoft support sessions-a $70 value-their words)of XP for a reasonable price, the only condition is you must buy some piece of hardware from them. For some that is a processor, mobo, or HD, for others it may be as little as a 50 cent bag of screws., so shop around.

4. NationalAcrobat

I can get it for $5 from school. just wanted to make sure i needed one.

thx.

5. NationalAcrobat

sorry to double post(missed the deadline for editing).

So I keep reading that I need a system disk when I start my new system.

If Im gonna use a OS disk to install XP, what do i need the system disk for?

also, I was planning to buy a 1 gb ram stick, but ppl are telling me I should use 2 512 mb sticks instead. It seems that this will make it more costly to add more later.

mobo will have 3 slots, 3gb max.

your thoughts.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The system disk you refer to is the Operating System disk that you will use to install Windows XP. The XP install disk is bootable, so you shouldn't need a floppy drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds