Making a transparent background in Photoshop CS2

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, May 19, 2006.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey guys,

I have a graphic that I is text, but I want the background to be transparent. When I make the background transparent in Photoshop, it looks right until I go to File > Save and then it shows it with a white background. This is while saving it as a JPEG. When I try to save it as a .GIF, it will keep the transparency, but the quality of the image sucks.

Is there a way to have better quality with a transparent .GIF or is there some other file extension I should use?

Thanks,
    Cody

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

JPEG does not support transparency. If you are wanting the image for use on the web try PNG format. It uses alpha transparency and is of better quality than GIF.

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Okay, I'll try that. Is .PNG transparency supported by all browsers? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did File > Save for Web > PNG-24 with a tick mark next to Transparency. It looks perfect in Firefox, but is not transparent in IE. Rather, it is some ugly cyan/white color.

4. AbbySue

A year or so ago it wasn't but I do believe it is now. They show up fine in all the browsers I've used..IE, Maxthon, FireFox, Opera, Flock, Kmelon..etc..etc...

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Here's my problem (Don't know if you saw the edit on my last post.)

Same picture used in the same .HTML file. In Firefox and IE.

Attached Files:

6. AbbySue

Didn't see your edit..sorry. Try PNG-16 (bit)...I don't have the time right now to open PS and fiddle myself so I'm doing this off the top of my head..gotta scoot now but I'll check back in later.:)

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I only have the option of PNG-8 (which makes it jagged around the edges) and PNG-24... Thanks for your help though.

Anyone else have any ideas? :)

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

9. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Well, you taught me something new because I never knew that that wizard existed... But it gave me the same results :(

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Well at least it helped some. ;)

Everything I came across discussing this same issue always seem to point to the link below as a work-around, I guess. Seems to be an IE issue more than anything.

One good thing. It does mention in a few of the articles that one of the improvemnets in IE7 is better PNG support, so it should work in IE7. Might not be worth the trouble changing it, works in everything else and IE7 is just around the corner.

Here is the link, http://www.alistapart.com/stories/pngopacity/

Good luck,

Steve

11. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Anyone?

I found this code for IE on Matacumbie's link:

<DIV ID="myDiv"
    STYLE="position:relative;
    height:250px;
    width:250px;
    filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader»
    (src='myimage.png',sizingMethod='scale');"></DIV>

I guess I'll try that and report what happens. Thanks!

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you have a copy of the full sized image I could play with? not promising anything as tempus fugit but I may get some time to mess with the image file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds