Making an OLD laptop Wi-Fi capable???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by solo_voyager, Sep 1, 2007.

1. solo_voyager

solo_voyager Private E-2

My galfriend has a Toshiba Tecra 8000 Model #PAT80AU laptop.
    As near as I can figure, it is of pre-1999 manufacture, maybe aproaching '95.
    It has:
    400 Mhz PII
    256 MB RAM
    10GB HDD
    USB Port
    PC Card Slot [fax modem]
    Expansion Port for a Docking Station / Port Replicator
    Win 2KPro - It probably came with Win98. I'll be upgrading it to WinXP.

The specs state:
    "High performance PCI system bus supports external PCI docking capability"

She would like to be able to take it to work and connect to a public wi-fi access hub located in the area.

As near as I can figure, this can only be done by adding a "Toshiba Desk Station V Plus" docking station to get an externally accessable internal PCI slot.

Question:
    Can it be made WiFi capable?
    What are the options?

Thx for any advice on this.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi solo_voyager,
    You should be able to get a notebook adapter card to fit into one of the expansion slots on the left side.
    I did the same thing this summer with a Sony Vaio PCG-F340 from around 98 or 99 using a Linksys WPC54G ver.3 (This is a Type II card)
    I did load XP Pro also. I'm sure there are other options but this worked fine for me.
    Here's some info on your computer.

EXPANSION SLOTS LOCATION
    Two Stacked PC Card Slot Yes: Left side (CardBus) -- Slot supports two Type II or one Type III PC Card.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...BV_EngineID=cccjaddlliekmghcgfkceghdgngdgnj.0

3. solo_voyager

solo_voyager Private E-2

Thx LBMEST.
    We'll look into a wifi PC card for it. I didn't realize it would accept 2 cards.

She has a fax modem card that, when installed, does leave room for a second card.

After looking at the "similar threads" below, I think I'll stay with Win2k. It hinted at that WinXP may be too resource hungry for this little old processor. I've just updated it from SP2 to SP4.

A new battery and a wifi card and she's set to go.

Thx again

PS
    This old laptop had a bunch of small low-profile apps on it that I went through and removed. Many of them were not listed in "Add/Remove". I assume most of them were obsolete. I had never heard of them. That type of app may be a good idea for this old clunker.

QUESTION: Can anyone suggest a good place to find old obsolete or abandoned apps that are now public domain?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You will probably get better performance with W2K. Just now with Task Manager and Firefox and avast running the CPU usage stayed in the 35 to 40% range until avast finished dl it's update. It's about 5 to 7% with just the 2 apps now.
    You should post in Sotware or look through MGs homepage for the specific apps you want. There are tons of lite resource apps, just depends on what you want to do.
    Good Luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds