Making movie files smaller

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bert, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Bert

Bert Private E-2

I have a movie downloaded from the internet. I would like to download it to my CD-RW, but the movie is just about 10 minutes over. I do not have a DVD drive to burn DVD's, so I can't burn it to a DVD-R. Is there anyway to make this movie smaller?

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, you can try zipping it, but then you'd have to copy it off an unzip it to play it. You could split the zip file if you still need to span it across disks.

You could edit the movie file and crop the beginning or ending, but that requires professional software to do well.

The only other method I know if is called transcoding, but you don't want to do that. You could reduce the move a little bit at the cost of a huge chuck of quality. Basically, you demux the movie into audio and video, re-encode the video and/or audio with another media encoder so it's smaller, and then remux them together. But since audio and video compression codecs are already lossy, you lose a lot of quality. It's like saving the same jpeg several times.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

4. Bert

Bert Private E-2

Somewhere, I heard that I could ''decode'' or ''encode'' the file to make it smaller to fit on a disc. Is this true? And if so, how can I do it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds