Making Movies - Hardware Requirements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sig, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Sig

Sig Private E-2

I have started making movies using footage I record while playing games.
    Have been using Fraps 2.0

When playing the game I get a good 30 to 80 fps, but the moment I start recording using Fraps it drops to 7 - 15 fps. :eek:
    This makes the movies look very bad and jerky.

I guess I need a hardware upgrade.
    What is the single most important hardware component for recording movies?

Present System:
    P4 2.8 HT 800FSB
    ATI 9600Pro 128meg (can't be this as the games play well)
    512meg 400DDR
    Seagate 60gig 7200rpm

2. Raider

Raider Private First Class

There are actually two things as far as hardware. You need at least a Gig of RAM and RAID helps a lot too. But I am talking about doing movies using Adobe Premiere, so as far as just recording onscreen games I could be wrong.

3. Sig

Sig Private E-2

*bump*

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I know exactly what you need....

An Apple Computer. :cool:

In all seriousness, I have tried and tried to edit video on PC's to no avail, something always screws up.

I can edit video with zero problems on any Mac 400Mhz or up. The latest Apples are around 1Ghz.

It's something to think about if you are serious about making this work since you may have to invest the same amount of money to upgrade your PC to hopefully get this to work as you could go out and buy a new Mac. :)

Good Luck.

5. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

Sig you might want to check out the following:

http://www.fraps.com/faq.htm

Look towards the bottom for some info on video capturing:

Two things:
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]
    [/font]

6. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

Dang edit timer, I wanted to add that it sounds like your video playback is suffering due to a large file size and that the frame rate being reported is for the media player playback and not the actual frame rate of the vid cap.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds