Making Slave Drive the New Master

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdt1983, Nov 9, 2004.

1. cdt1983

cdt1983 Private E-2

Hi, I recently purchased a 160GB Hitachi hard drive. I want to replace the current master drive, an 80GB maxtor, with this 160GB drive. Currently the Hitachi is set as the slave. I have two partitions on the maxtor C: & D: (backup). However, Windows XP Home came preinstalled on my computer. How can I do this? What is the safest way? I do have PartitionMagic if that will help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

The new drive should have came with a disk containing the utilities that you need to do this. I understand that you want the 160 gig hard drive as master, and the 80 gig as slave. But what else are you wanting to do? The new hard drive should have came with a floppy containing the utilities that are necessary, if you are wanting to transfer files from one drive to the other, and make it the master drive. You will also have to reset the jumpers on the drives to reflect the master and slave difference. I'm not familiar with the brand name that you mentioned, but Maxtor and Western Digital provide these utilities. A more experienced member will probably come in and prompt and correct me if I'm wrong! :)

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Are you saying that you want to copy OS (XP) from the 80 Gig as you have no instalation disk ??

4. cdt1983

cdt1983 Private E-2

Yes, Toke. I want to copy the XP OS, which is preinstalled, to the new drive and make it the master.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

There is software that will ''Clone'' your HD but the name escapes me at the moment perhaps another member could put you right on this..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds