Making XP disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cloudmaster, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Cloudmaster

Cloudmaster Private E-2

The laptop I'm buying has XP installed but no disc. How can I make a back up installation disc from the installed XP?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

No can do. You can purchase Acronis True Image and build an image of your system that you would be able to restore from.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes you can request the disc from the manufacturer.

Another free option to Acronis is Easeus ToDo which was suggested to me by Halo (an administrator here at MajorGeeks) as one he has used and thought was worth trying.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Some recovery programs provided with modern laptops request you to make a system restore CD, although the more common type use a backup partition on the hard drive. If you do get a backup CD version it will be tied to the laptop.

5. Cloudmaster

Cloudmaster Private E-2

How does the I386 file work in making a backup? Are the key files in the I386 folder?

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can't make a backup CD from the I386 folder.

You will need to make an image of the currently installed system as recommended in the first couple of posts.

Is the laptop you are buying used? If it is the original OS as loaded from the factory sometimes there is a program that allows you to burn a set of recovery discs. It is usually limited to one copy so if the original owner burnt the discs and lost them than this will not be an option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds