making your own external drive v.s. buying pre-made

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Nov 15, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

okay so i don't get something there.
    I'm considering making my own external drive which seems to be the cheaper route, but, I'd like to know why they price things the way they are.
    here's the link to the store i plan to buy from
    http://www.logiccomputerhouse.com/site/main.php?module=catalog&catID=84
    the fourth drive, top row, maxtor 250 gig is $118
    the second drive, 2nd row, maxtor 250gig is $279
    other than buying a casing for the drive i'm making...why is there such a price gap? (besides the push button thing and firewire...don't care for that)

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You've really answered your own question.

The external unit has firewire, one button backup, and the backup software which is usually Dantz Retrospect.

You are paying for that as well as the assembly.

Also remember that 3.5" drives cannot get enough power from USB or FireWire, so the case you buy must have a power adaptor or you will need to supply one.

3. jak3y

jak3y Guest

when you purhcase a case, usually it comes with its own power supply cable doesn't it?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Usually they are built in or in the form of a powerpack (plugpack) adapter, but I have seen ones that don't have them at all, so I always make sure first. (3.5" cases)

2.5 cases (for laptop hard drives) don't come with, nor need one, as they get all their power from the USB 2.0 connetion.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

As usual I must add www.cooldrives.com
    I use empty cases and buy my own drives, so I can upgrade and not be
    stuck.

7. zepper

zepper Corporal

2.5" external drives often are NOT able to work on just USB power, especially if you have other power-drawing USB devices. Often you have to connect to BOTH USB and PS/2 connector to get enough power. So I wouldn't buy one of those that didn't also have its own power available as a backup if needed.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds