Malware/antivirus question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Avalon, May 9, 2010.

1. Avalon

Avalon Private E-2

MS Windows Vista 32-bit SP2
    AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4800+
    2GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150se nForce 430

I'm a little embarressed to admit I've downloaded different programs over the years and now have no idea what to keep and what to get rid of but its starting to look like I'm going overboard.

Here's my list:

Advanced Systemcare 3
    CCleaner
    Hyjack this
    Spybot search & Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    Malwarebytes (which found adaware the others didn't find)

And my antivirus program is Norton Internet Security

Any suggestions on what to remove and what to keep would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Avalon

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You're fine. You can uninstall HJT as it is only a reporting tool which you may not need. Norton is pretty system hungry and there are other, lighter AV programs, though if you have purchased it you may want to keep it till it runs out.

Are you having issues?

You can read this:
    How to Protect yourself from malware!

3. Avalon

Avalon Private E-2

For 3 or 4 days my computer has been freezing up. I thought it was firefox but it was happening on IE too. I used all the programs on my computer to clean it, but it didn't help until I downloaded Malwarebytes last night. It detected adaware in places the others didn't and it seems everything is running faster and hasn't frozen since then.

My norton was just renewed but I have 60 days to return it if there's another antivirus program that's better to purchase?

Thanks for the quick reply,
    Avalon

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I frankly do not believe in purchasing AV protection. :)

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Avira AntiVir is only one of several FREE substitutes.And they are as good as pay-for versions.

6. Avalon

Avalon Private E-2

Thanks to both of you. That just saved me $65.

I'll give this one a try instead ... Avira AntiVir.

:)

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't believe you'll regret it.

8. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Just to chime in, I've had Avira Anti-vir for probably 2 years now and on 3 different OS's (XP, Vista & Win 7) and I've love it! Never had any problems with it, it's excellent at detection & protection if you ask me. There is a "nag" screen that pop-ups while it auto-updates asking if you would like to purchase the security suite but it doesn't really bother me seeing I'm getting superb protection for free. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds