Malware guide sent me to you guys in Software!

Discussion in 'Software' started by scrapcrastinator, Mar 21, 2009.

1. scrapcrastinator

scrapcrastinator Private E-2

Received reply on March 15 from Malware help forums, he suggested I post my problem here on Software, along with my event logs. Two of the event logs are too large to post...

Original post: About a week to a week and a half ago, my computer started freezing up when on the internet or with more than 1 program running. The cursor freezes in place. ctrl/alt/del and it brings up task manager, but will not shut down/restart the computer. I have to totally cut power.

A few days ago I updated Windows (Service Pack 3) and related updates, and of course it loaded tons of c***, and turned things on that I don't need, like networking & messaging.
    My processes list is a mile long now.

A google search brought me to the MajorGeeks Malware removal thread. I did all the installations requested, and am attaching the log files.

I could not disable AVG Free 7.5, so totally uninstalled before running combofix. I downloaded Avira Antivir from your site and that is the only thing I have done since these logs were run.

After these are reviewed, I'd like to know if there is a guide somewhere that tells me all the unneeded things/files/programs I can safely delete/disable in order to regain some speed and memory from our sluggish PC.

Attached Files:

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

On the attached event log, it shows McAfee Site advisor, Avira and AVG7. Although they point to (what looks like) registry errors, if the three are running together, that is a BIG problem.
    How did you uninstall AVG Free 7.5? You may want to go to the site & see if there's an uninstaller to get rid of registration entries that were not taken care of.

3. Nellman

Nellman Private E-2

I like blackviper.com this guy tests start up configs and list what works and what needs to stay worth a check

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Perhaps you like this nifty software as well: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Startup_CPL_d619.html Here's the home page from the writer of this software: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml It tells you some things about this program.

BTW: It's okay to have McAfee Site Advisor with an antivirus program since McAfee just rates websites while surfing the net. Just have ONE AV on your machine as more than 1 of them create conflicts.

5. scrapcrastinator

scrapcrastinator Private E-2

Wow, Thanks, guys. For some reason I didn't receive notification via email that I had received ANY replies!

I shall commence work immediately.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds