Malware removal turned into no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rightfulstone, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Rightfulstone

Rightfulstone Private E-2

Hey guys. Firstly let me say that I've been over in the malware forums for a few days now http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1857323&posted=1#post1857323 here is the link to the problem that I had (I'm sure you can get my specs from the computer there. So down to the problem, we ran another Avast Virus scan and it finaly found the TRJ so we deleted, and the computer restarted, now the display will not work period. AGI and DVI connections both have been tried, neither work. I've tried everything I can think of besides HDMI, have not tried this yet. I'm running windows 7 home premium It's an IBuyPower computer, so there is a lot of added things to it such as overclocking and watercooled. If you need any additional information please as, as I'm not really sure how to go about fixing a computer I can't see anything on. Thank you in advance for all of the trouble this is about to cause you guys.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Do you see the display in the BIOS before Windows starts? If so, have you tried booting the computer in Safe Mode (usually by tapping "F8" when the BIOS screen is showing)?

3. Rightfulstone

No I can't get to the BIOS, it doesn't register a connection to the monitor in any way. Just tried mashing the F keys in hopes that it would register once it went into the bios setting, but it didn't. Still blank screen.

4. Rightfulstone

I'm no expert on this, but if I were to take out my hard-drive and stick it into the other PC I have here at the house, would I be able to edit the BIOS to allow me to fix whatever is wrong with the core of it, therefor putting it back into my original PC and rebooting without losing data?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The BIOS is stored on a chip in the computer, not on the hard drive. So you can't fix the BIOS by tweaking the hard drive.

The fact that you don't see anything on the screen means your video is not working at all. Malware removal can screw up windows booting but it doesn't kill your display. You normally get the brand of the computer or the display and things like F2 to run setup and del to get into BIOS appears briefly at the bottom of the screen before Windows loads.

Remove the video card. Hopefully there is a video chip on the motherboard so you can get a display. You can tell if you see two VGA video connectors on the back of the computer.

6. Rightfulstone

Saw that I was using the motherboard video card instead of the slotted video card. Changed the DVI connection into the other video card, get this exact message "BIOS has been reset - Please decide how to continue. A: Load optimized defaults then boot. B: Load optimized defaults than Reboot. C: Enter BIOS." Guess I probably shouldn't have clicked the switch on my motherboard to see if that had something to do with the video card lol. I'm assuming now that it was a secondary BIOS switch or something. Anyways, that's where we are now. Will wait for the next command from you guys. But I've got a screen again on the original PC. I know this probably won't help much, but you never know...here is my screen on the PC we are working on, along with a picture of the internal workings. Also, you mentioned "you usually get a brief display" not in this instance it was completely black, never seeing any display whatsoever. When I cleared the avast popup the computer rebooted and that was the last thing that popped up into my screen until now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds