Malware & Spybot vs Anti-virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by m79vest36, Jun 5, 2013.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Your opinion please. An upper level Dell tech person advised a re-install of Win 7 ultimate to not put Mcafee back. All you need is malware bytes & spybot. Your impression, pls. Tthankyou

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I wouldn't run a machine without an updated AV program, but the choice of which one is open to debate. Some discussion of these is here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/search.php?searchid=1393843 A search of the forums will no doubt turn up some other animated debates on which one is the best... ;)

In addition to an AV program, I also run the real time (paid) version of Malwarebytes and a few other passive scanners.

To advise against running Mcafee is one thing, tastes and experiences being what they are, but to advise not running an AV at all is dangerously stupid, particularly when done under the color of authority...

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

In addition to what has already been posted, I would forgo the Spybot in favor of SuperAntiSpyware or IObit. It's just a shadow of itself nowadays.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Spybot has an Immunize function that provides some passive protection and may still be useful.

SpywareBlaster is another free program that provides passive protection.

As cipher said, for the majority of people, using the internet without an Active and up to date Anti-Virus is not advisable and
    pretty risky. A few people get away with that because they are sufficiently knowledgeable and careful about what they do.

But to suggest that you do not need or should not use one is just bad advise, IMO.

5. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thanks....I was suspicious about that Dell advice.

6. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Thankyou! Is it ok to have Superanti-spyware...Spybot....Spywareblaster & AVAST ALL ON YOUR COMPUTER?

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Yes. No problem.

If you get the PRO version of SuperAntiSpyware and use the Real Time Protection, there might be some conflict with Avast, but SAS Pro is meant to be used that way.

There is a way to setup Exclusions in Avast so that it will not scan specific locations or processes.
    I have never used SAS Pro, but Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro also has similar configuration settings.

8. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Concur with MJNC. Its probably best not to scan simultaneously with more than one. Spywareblaster doesn't have a scan feature. Superantispyware and Spybot can be set or scheduled to scan on system start. I forget if Avast has this feature, but suspect it does. Recommend you check their settings and only use 1 scan on startup, if at all.
    (Spybot is only udated on Wednesdays) GL

9. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

To add to mjnc's remarks, you should install one Anti-virus product (Avast,Avira, Mcaffe, Norton, MSE, etc...) and a few scanners such as SuperAntiSpware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, MalwareBytes, etc.

The thing is to install only one of the scanners as a real time version, i.e. paid version. The others of that type are OK to use as passive/on demand scanners. In this arena free = passive, it will not be looking at things in real time and will not conflict with another application doing the same thing.

An example setup could be:

ACTIVE

• Avast
    • Malwarebytes Pro (paid)

PASSIVE

• SuperAntiSpware (free)
    • Spybot S&D (free)
    • SpywareBlaster (free)
    One could subsitute the paid SuperAntiSpware for the paid Malwarebytes and install the free Malwarebytes as a passive/on demand scanner.

Be sure to manually check the free ones for updates as auto updating is generally not available in the free versions...

10. jamesedwards399

jamesedwards399 Private E-2

I use antivirus tool for my system’s protection as it provide overall protection from malware, virus and other malicious threats. I would recommend you some antivirus tool like Immunet Plus, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast, Avira etc for your system protection.

11. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I use these cleaners and keeps my system well cleaned and protected.

1.AVG 2013,This is good if you have a payed version it will unlock the firewall protection.And it does a very good job at detecting things right away.Even with the AVG tool bar does most of the work.

2.CCleaner,I think this would be your best option as well cleans out tons of junk left be hind when surfing the net.

3.Malwarebytes,All so a good add on.

4.Iobit's Advanced SystemCare 6,Can clean regularly keep computer up to speed takes very little resources.

5.Iobit's Smart Defrag 2,You can have this setup to defrag your system every two weeks.

This is the list i have and works really well AVG is payed and so is malwarebytes.

ASC6 is free to use but you can pay to get it fully unlocked for a few extra items that does help.Been using ASC since first beta and it works better then 90% of the junk all in one tools out there that cost an arm and a leg.

I am very rarely seen on the malware forums so i know this works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds