Malwarebytes Anti-exploit

Discussion in 'Software' started by WascalWabbit, Aug 3, 2016.

1. WascalWabbit

WascalWabbit Private E-2

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit version 1.8.1.2572 yet MG lists the current version as 1.08.1.2572. Which is correct? I updated yesterday and received the 1.8.1..... version. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The official current version is 1.08.1.2572 according to its website

3. WascalWabbit

WascalWabbit Private E-2

I appreciate the response but MG still gave me the 1.8.1....version and not the 1.08.....version. Did you dl from MG or from the Malwarebytes site? Again thanks for the response. Have a Geeky day :)

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It can't. It loads from their servers. I just downloaded it to test. The set up (MG link or official site) file says 1.08......
    Your eyes must need testing.

5. WascalWabbit

WascalWabbit Private E-2

Eyesight is 20/20. Meaning no disrespect but I have downloaded from both MG and Malwarebytes site. Both dl the 1.8.1......version. See screenshot if I loaded it correctly. Mal.  Anti-Exploit   August 3, 2016.JPG I'm just trying to get the correct version not insult anyone's eyesight. Peace my friend. I can only report what I observe. I'm no smart ass. Just an attorney trying to do things correctly. I'll go with my 1.8.1.2572 version and you use your 1.08......version. Be well Max.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No idea where that attachment comes from. It doesn't show on MG or on the developer site.

If you click on download whether using the developer site or the MG link and LOOK at the set up files they both say 1.08.........................
    That's all I am able to look at and I (obviously wrongly) assumed that is what you looked at too. ;)

Screenshots:
    1. MG Page
    1.jpg
    2. Developer's Link Set Up file
    2.jpg
    3. MG servers set up file
    3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That means there is a problem or quirk in your system, or you've downloaded a fake program.
    You don't 'get 1.8.1 every time' if you download from the program site or MG. You're now just being silly.
    You asked the question, you got the factual correct answer and you don't like it. Tough.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

MBAE is listed and available as 1.8.1.1196 at BleepingComputer, dated 05/24/16 08:52:09 AM EDT. It's also listed as having been available, maybe still is, at other download sites.

Perhaps MB switched version numbers at some point recently to bring it into line with, or differentiate from, the Business version.

EDIT: I downloaded the Bleeping version, it's actually mbae-setup-1.08.1.1196.exe so it looks like a slightly older version. MA's doing a decent job of keeping up with the current version (whatever that might be!) is my guess.

A possible reason for the 'wrongly' named file - browser cache.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Not on Majorgeeks, not on Malwarebytes Home page, not on MalwareBytes update forums:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/132660-malwarebytes-anti-exploit-history-updates/
    ;)

The current version on MajorGeeks is the same as the current version on its own developer site.
    If you look at the UPDATE HISTORY it has never, ever been 1.8...
    There has been no change in the version numbering at any time.

If the OP had such a problem about it, they could have reinstalled from a new set up file but instead they just wanted to argue the toss, and throw abuse in comments at anyone who might be unfortunate enough to be suffering with Alzheimer's Dementia. That's now one on the list of no help.

11. satrow

Fine, Max, whatever you say.

MA listed the upgrade to 1.08.1.2572 yesterday, mayhap a little more detective work there would provide older version numbers to check?

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's not what I say.
    It's what it says on Majorgeeks and the MalwareBytes home page and the official MalwareBytes Support pages, and on the MalwareBytes Forums.
    The version history on those sites is as clear as can be.
    But I fully understand the only reason you're in this thread is to stir the brown stuff.

13. satrow

Max, somewhere down the line, there appears to have been some output, possibly a simple typo, from MB, with the 1.8x version(s) listed - I very much doubt that Bleeping's servers have been hacked (heck, I didn't check where the download came from there, it could have been from MB anyway).

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The OP never ever said they got it from that other site. So why are you introducing that?
    I know why, others don't.

15. satrow

Perhaps because there are versions with that number listed on at least one other reputable site?

Because it needs some investigation?

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Bleeping computer - old version:
    Still shows as 1.08........................
    Untitled.jpg

17. satrow

Yup, been there and recorded that above. MA updated here yesterday (just before midnight to us), if the OP had grabbed the previous version, his browser/DNS cache might still have pointed him back to the same download today, regardless of any front end changes made since. It often needs a forced refresh of the browser to pickup any recent changes.

I've no clue what version MG's hosted yesterday, I doubt that there's been a compromise anywhere but I'm hoping MA is now checking up.

I uploaded the file from Bleeping to VT and it came up clean (as had the earlier scan of that version) but there were several other scans from .rar wrapped versions (example), they were heavily flagged but it looked like they were flagged for the packers used (packers are tiny tools that give high compression, often used by the bad guys to try to disguise payloads), many legit files that use the same packers are generically flagged but are safe.

18. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Really?
    MBAE_1.jpg MBAE_2.jpg MBAE_3.jpg MBAE_4.jpg MBAE_5.jpg

satrow likes this.
  19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yup, another tempest in a teapot!!

Eldon likes this.
  20. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds