MalwareBytes Antimalware PRO changes

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Feb 7, 2014.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

http://news.techworld.com/security/...495-for-next-version-of-anti-malware-scanner/

So far MBAM has a lifetime fee for PRO.

I don't know yet when the changes will come into effect. There is a version 2 beta in the works so the changes will probably occur when it's out of beta and ready for release.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi oma

Great highlight of this in your post and I personally think while there is a need to charge for the "pro" versions of software to help with further development, sadly $24 a year is likely to put off many users from using that service, the company needs to re-evaluate this and come to a say $10 a year fee as more users = more money and more $$ = less users.

Sadly some companies price themselves out of the market, and in this case, I can see users moving more to free based software.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi David.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that MBAM PRO will charge $24.95 on a yearly basis is quite hefty compared to their previous life time fee of same price.

From what I gather is that if one purchases MBAM prior to the new 2.0 version coming out (possibly March), they will still honor a lifetime license. I've seen some pics of the beta somewhere and it seems to be a total overhaul of their software.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=141268
    http://www.techspot.com/article/581-malwarebytes-marcin-kleczynski-interview/
    Wilders Security Forum has a long thread about it with some pics shown I believe.

PS: The author of MBAM is about 24 years young.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

By Marcin Kleczynski, Chief Executive Officer
    Lots more to read there: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=357523

5. oxooxo

oxooxo Private First Class

That's not too bad a price considering Norton charges $69.99 annual renewal charge.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

MBAM and Norton cannot be compared because Norton is an Antivirus and MBAM an Antimalware, thus completely different.

MBAM PRO or free is an excellent addition to an installed Antivirus.

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Maybe that's the reason for the new 'get rich quick' pricing scheme.
    Glad I already have the PRO version.

8. oxooxo

oxooxo Private First Class

As far as I'm concerned they are both software programs no matter what they do.
    Wal

9. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Personally, I find MBAM PRO to be a resource hog as far as how much RAM it uses. I still use an older computer with Windows XP and it loads up very slowly at boot-up.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have no problem running MBAM Pro on two XP computers in the house. (One of the computers is very old, a Dell Dimension 2400 that I resurrected from dead).

11. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Oh, I don't have any problems with it running either. However, a quick look at processes in task manager and it typically shows 140,000 K. About the only thing that tops that is my Browser. But without question it slows boot time considerably and I typically will remove the check to start at boot up because of this. I have removed all non-essential programs from my start-up procedure, but even so, it's painstakingly slow compared to starting without it.

12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

My Windows XP machine is slightly faster but has only 1.5GB so I eventually disabled active protection for similar reasons.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds