Malwarebytes Full (PAID) Version Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dogma, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Dogma

Dogma Private E-2

Does anyone have experience with the PAID version of Malwarebytes? We all know how well the free version works for removing malware, but I'm wondering how well the full version's real-time scanner does at PREVENTING malware infections. Anyone using it? Have you had good results? Any conflicts with other real-time scanners, specifically Symantec?

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

I don't have experience with the paid version.

There can be conflicts between any two real time scanners running on the same machine. You should never have two AV programs running.

3. Dogma

Dogma Private E-2

I realize that generically the "only run one real-time" scanner suggestion applies. However, in practice it sometimes works fine, especially if one product is AV specific and the other is spyware/malware specific (of course in reality the lines between those are blurry). The Malwarebytes product description says it is compatible with other real-time scanners. I'm hoping to find people with first-hand experience with the product who can describe their experiences.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have the paid version running on the two most used windows computers in the house. One is mine and one is my husband's. It has prevented us by popups from going to harmful sites.
    The ability to override MBAM's stop is there. If it is something I want to see (generally comes up when doing a search) I will temporarily override the decision. After I'm done looking, I go back into the settings and remove the ignore I've put on the IP.
    I will probably buy another license or two. (new laptop in my future)

To me, it is well worth the price.

5. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

I have the paid version of MBAM and as Plodr said the only time I hear from it is when it prevents me from accessing a suspicious website. Other than that you don't even notice it's working. I have the on-demand SAS that I run a weekly scan with also. ON top of that I have Spywareblaster and use PC tools firewall and AVAST anti virus and no conflicts at all.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I too use the paid version of MBAM and have used it since it first came out of beta (I was also an original beta tester). It works REALLY well as real-time active protection, but it should be run along with another active anti-virus program (I run it with the free version of Avira's AntiVir). I have the two running side-by-side and have done so for about 2 years without any infections. I have had a few "drive by" infections attempt to get in, but MBAM and AntiVir stopped 'em. Usually, MBAM will simply block the malicious web site. I also use the free Spyware Blaster. It works a bit differently than other security programs; it simply creates a 'blacklist' of known malicious sites and prevent them from opening in your browser, and also prevents the "pop under" type of rogue sites. Occasionally I get a "pop under" that's just blank, and either MBAM pops up a "blocked malicious site" balloon, or the window is simply empty due to Spyware Blaster.....

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

One other thing about MBAM . . . the license is a lifetime license! Unlike the inferior (IMO) Norton and McAfee and Kaspersky products which generally (not always) cause the PC to run quite a bit slower, MBAM is a one-time purchase. These other programs have annual license fees requiring a yearly payment of $40 or more depending on the version of software (some are about $70). Ridiculous.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Support is good too. One of my MBAM's wasn't updating daily and I couldn't figure out why. Previously I had it set to checking weekly because my husband is on a computer with little RAM (don't ask why I can't install more) so I didn't want his work interrupted/slowed down more on a daily basis. Support stuck with me until I got it working. It turned out to be USER ERROR; aren't most of them? Anyway, they posted a screenshot and I noticed some setting I had never bothered to take note of before.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds