Managing Sabayon 3.4e startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hi All,

I have a Sabayon 3.4e box that I am trying to get 3D desktop working on more smoothly. I have a two-prong request on this:

1. I would like to get aiglx running at startup
    2. I would like to stop compiz from running at startup

I've merged beryl as per the instructions at this wiki article, and attempted to stop compiz from running at startup by deleting fusion-icon.desktop from /usr/share/autostart. However, every time the x server is restarted, it comes back. I can switch back to Beryl by killing the compiz daemon, but would like to stop it from running at startup. (Would un-merging compiz be advisable? I don't have any plans to use it)

I also need to enable aiglx after every start of the system to even use 3D desktop, so I'd like to have it run at startup, as well. I've installed shell helper scripts as per this wiki article, but don't know how to run this command before the x server starts.

Essentially, I need advice/instruction on managing Sabayon's startup list(s). Something I should know, but seems different on every distro. Where should I be looking?

Thanks for any input,

Milty

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are right, it is diffeent every distro.

I thought compiz-fusion conflicted with Beryl; couldnt be on the same system at the same time? I would remove it, but, there may be another way that it is being autostarted.

If you are using KDE, check to see if there is a $HOME/.kde/env folder.

Thats a hidden folder under your home directory. If there is, look inside to see if there is a .sh file; it can be used to startup a windows manager as well. I did this with Beryl to make its autostart appear transparent.

As for AIGLX, there may be a simpler way. What video card do you hvae?

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Awesome. So I'm not crazy! It might not be where I thought it was/were.

Well, I do have both on the same system, but I wouldn't say they DON'T conflict. With both running, I get some issues such as loss of window titlebars, poor performance, etc, until I kill the compiz daemon and reload Beryl. I'll unmerge it, if its no longer necessary.

Yes, I'm using KDE, I'll have a look at this script when I'm back at the machine.

I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 6100. (integrated - it's a cheapie OEM box) Here's output from #lspci, FWIW I've since raised the dedicated memory to 128MB:

Attached Files:

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, how about using Nvidia's implemntation of AIGLX? Less resources on startup and works just as well?

If you are interested, I can link you to a more basic wiki that should work, or I can simply post my xorg.conf, which also should work.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'd be interested in both, if you are willing. Always looking to expand my resources, so I'll look at this wiki, but in the end the .conf file may be of more use for this issue. Using less resources is always appealing to me!

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I hear ya there.
    Let me boot into nix, and get it up for ya.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Wicked. Thanks much!
    Will let you know how she goes.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I just switched from Beryl to Compiz-Fusion.

What didnt you like about it?

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

tbh, most of my REAL issues with compiz may stem from the fact that I had a crappy install.

There are a few minor things that have cemented this decision, though. I prefer beryl's settings manager, it seems to render a bit better, I can control the caps of the cube (more easily??)...

I've done too much to be able to say exactly what's going on, but the system seems to work how I want with just beryl running, where it was good, but not 100% before I merged it.

This wasn't intended as a critique of compiz in any way.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you get things working the way you wanted?

I agree, the cube caps did take some more work to tweak.. It was annoying.

12. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'll be back at the machine tonight sometime

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alright...

Haven't had much time to do anything with the machine, but I did manage to unmerge compiz.

And now it's working exactly as I want it to. Go figure.

Thanks for the help, Adryn. Guess it's time to image!

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ahh, the funs of Linux :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds