Managing Services and Processes

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Jul 9, 2009.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Just reformatted my hard drive due to a little bug I had that I could not remove, related to some of my settings I am sure. I have had two problems since the reformat.

1. The desktop would lock up. Mouse pointer would move around and everything but I could not interact with any of my links. This is when I was using the Dock for the first time and had all my links placed there. I relocated all my links to the Quick Launch area and removed the Dock and uninstalled Google Desktop and have not had a problem with that aspect since.

2. Windows Media Center is opening itself at will and I cannot figure out why. I have all the settings checked/unchecked to stop this from happening and am waiting to see if it will arise again. I do notice that there are two processes running for it and wonder if they should be killed.

3. I would like a reliable website or program that will tell me about my services and processes that are running, the ones I do not know about, and give me information regarding what to do with them. I have used the sysinfo website in the past but it tends to get a little confusing because it claims that csrss.exe is a Trojan of one sort or another when I know it is a part of Windows and necessary for normal operation. I do not wish to run a scan and post it here, I do not feel I have any infection at this time, I just want something that will give me information on the services and processes and let me know what is safe to disable or remove.

I only use Windows Mail, Firefox, and occasionally connect my camera. Everything else is done on the Internet.

Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    500GB HD
    4GB Ram (I know it only uses 3 due to being 32-bit)
    Dual GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Cards (Seriously considering upgrading to dual GT 285's)
    PCTools Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Threatfire
    CCleaner
    Spybot
    Spywareblaster
    Super Anti-Spyware (only used occasionally-once a month or if I notice a problem)

Any information on a website that is more descriptive or a program that gives definitions of processes and services and whether or not they are necessary and how to permanently stop unnecessary ones would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Two of the items you listed for download actually installed. I do not know if this because they do not have Vista listed as an operating system or for some other reason but the only two I got were; Process Explorer and Startup Monitor. I believe with these and the BV website I should be fine. I will post any other questions or problems as they arise. Thank you for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds