Managing Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChuckS, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

First let me begin by thanking everyone on this forum. MG has definately helped me out recently with great quick accurate advice.:)

This problem is a simple annoyance that might be indicative of something else. Thanks to this forum I recently solved a problem with MSMSrvr.exe, but ever since then when I start my computer the C:\Program Files\Common window pops up during start up.:rolleyes:

How can I stop this from happening :confused:

Thanks again

~chuck

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

1. Make sure that there isn't a shortcut to in in Start --> All Programs --> startup
    2. run msconfig (win key + r, type msconfig, press enter), and uncheck any references to the folder
    3. If the above fail you can look for it in the registry under these keys:

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    HKCU\software\miscrosoft\windows\current version\run

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

There wasn't a short cut in the Start-->All Programs-->startup menu
    I ran msconfig and didn't find any reference to it.
    But I did find an Adobe updater in \HKEY_CURRENT\Software
    Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run -- that was C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater\AdobeUpdater.exe

Co8uld this be causing it? If so what do I do? Generally speaking I don't mess with the register...

4. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

I know this isn't a high priority but I could use some help otherwise I might screw it up and it will then become a mojor problem. For me at least.:)

Thanks

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Couple of options for you ChuckS

1. you could enter msconfig and in Startup tab untick that option and reboot, if the problem goes away then remove the entry from the registry

2. Use this small freebie ( only mention this one as its one I use ) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html and again in Startup List.. tick the entry and click remove selected.. the deleted entry is backedup for you in case you need to restore it. This is a safer way to edit the registry.

I personally find alot of the updaters a PITA and most are not needed, as in most of the apps dont update alot and if they do you can easily do it manually....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds