mandrake 10.0 problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmlypfan, Sep 8, 2004.

1. lmlypfan

lmlypfan Private E-2

I'm running linux for the first time.
    I have a few problems to say the least.

When i try to load the Graphical interphace by using the startx command, I get the "Fatal server error: Caught signal 4. Server Aborting"

So i go to xfree86.org to check it out. Says i have to install some files (binarys)?

I decide to back up a bit and study some command files. Every command file i enter it either says, "blank" is a directory. Example is /: is a directory. If i use the ls command i get "tmp/" in blue text.

I am so lost. I'm trying to give this my best but keep runnin into brick walls.

I know your all gonna ask what the specs are on the box i'm runnin. Its a thowaway from a friend so I'm not too sure.

Is there a command to get the specs of my pc?

If anyone would take some time to help, it would be greatly appreciated

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Do you have a really old or uncommon monitor?

I had issues with some monitors before where X would not start.

Can you try another? You may have to reinstall, not sure. Either that, or the video card is not being recognized properly.

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

I hate to say this, but if you cant figure out how to bring up your computer specs then you damn sure should not be running Linux. Linux is way more involved than Windows and at this point in time is still not a user friendly operating system. It has great security benefits but if you are somewhat of a noob when it comes to computers then I would wait a while before I jumped to Linux. Or at least be prepared to do lots and lots of reading to really understand your way around thy Linux World of Computers...Sorry but at least I am being honest with you...

4. lmlypfan

lmlypfan Private E-2

Its a jusk CPU so i don't care if i mess it up.
    So what command do i use to bring up my specs than.
    I'm runnin another cpu with XP, I'm not too worried about being a n00b, i can research all i need to. Thats what I'm doing. I got plenty of time to read. I'v almost got mandrake into the Graphical interface, Im only one step away.
    Mandrake recognizes everything except for the network card and the sound card.

5. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

To be honest, you would be better suited to post your issues at...

www.linuxquestions.org

They are all Linux and great for newbies like yourself and me.

Good Luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds