Map an XP drive from Win7 machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leepy Lee, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

I'm having 'fun' trying to connect to my old XP desktop (name - STUDYXP) from my new W7 desktop (name - STUDYWIN7). All I want to do is to be able to copy files from the old PC to the new PC by mapping to drive C onto the W7 machine.
    I'm at the point now where from W7 I can 'see' both STUDYWIN7 and STUDYXP under the network on the Wiv7 PC.

If I expand STUDYXP, Iit shows the file structure and I can actually open some folders, see the files and drag them across to STUDYWINXP.

But when I try to expand Documents and Settings or Program Files I get... "Network Error
    Windows cannot access \\STUDYXP\Drive (C)\Document and Settings
    You do not have permission to access \\STUDYXP\Drive (C)\Document and Settings
    Contact your network administrator."

Can anyone suggest what am I missing please or where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

2. pcunite

pcunite Private E-2

On the XP box go to "Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab" and uncheck "Use simple file sharing". On the Windows 7 box go to "\\STUDYXP\c$". When it prompts you for a username and password, enter the administer name and password.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Make sure that both machines have the same username and password. Also turn off Homeshare for 7, since it is not really needed. As long as you have sharing enabled, you will be able to connect to the other computer. Also, make sure what ever firewall software that you have, is turned off, when on your own private network. It is only really needed when out in public.

There is some good info at http://www.ezlan.net

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds