Master/Slave advantage with CDRW and DVDRW?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wisewiz, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

I'm mounting a new LG DVD burner on my secondary IDE with my LG CD burner (on the same cable). The DVD burner is replacing my old (well, six months old, but it came with the box) LG DVD ROM. The config was CD burner as Master; DVD ROM as Slave. I'm thinking I'll just set the new DVD burner's jumper to Slave and put it where the DVD ROM was. I know about uninstalling the old software and installing the new that came with the DVD burner (but it's all Nero and both drives are LG, so I expect no probs there), but here's my Q:

Would there be any point in installing the DVD burner as Master and the CD burner as Slave -- any ADVANTAGE to switching?

I'm thinking NOT, but I'm open to being taught by anyone who knows better.

Thanks.
    (P4 @ 3 GHz; a Gig of DDR; two WD HDDs on the primary IDE)

2. bowrabob

bowrabob Private E-2

It dosen't matter, it works fine either way.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Installing the DVD burner as master on your secondary IDE channel should enable DMA support for the burner and result in faster write times, and I do this on all systems that I work on and install a DVD burner in. Most of the systems that I've worked on will not allow DMA support for a slave device! :)

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Usually it's not an issue and works fine as slave. But there are a few drivers, usually burners which just won't work correctly if installed as a slave. So it's usually best to install a burner as a master if it is at all possible. Although in most cases this isn't an issue, it's a very select few drives that insit on being masters.

Also generally they tell you in the documentation for the drive if it has to be a master. Slot DVD drives are bad for this. Most of the slot drives I've seen must be masters.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds