maxtor 320GIG external hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by sicari, May 9, 2009.

1. sicari

sicari Private E-2

Just bought a Maxtor 320 GIG external hard drive
    It doesn't work all the time, sometimes it says i need the right drivers to use this device, and other times it works with out a hitch

I have tried to use the CD that it came with, but thats no good

ANdrew

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

whats the full message it gives when it asks for right drivers, any error code given?

As your mobo has USB2.0 built in anyway this drive should have no issues, but what I woudl try is to delete the USB driver for this drive, to do this unplug any other USB drives and pens, then open Device Manager and open the USB Controller branch and then plug in the drive and you should see a USB Mass Storage Device listed right click this and uninstall, then unplug and replug the drive in and the driver should be re-installed.

3. sicari

sicari Private E-2

this is the message that pops up

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds