Maxtor hard drive beeps but doesn't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mysticscooby, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

Ok, I have read that others have had this problems also but haven't found a solution. I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80GB hard drive that decided it didn't want to work any longer. All it does now when I hook it up is beep and beep until the computer stops trying to read it. It isn't recognizing it now. Can anyone help? I have purchased another drive but would not only like to use this one if possible, but if not, at least get my pictures off of it. Please someone help.. Thanks people...
    Christle :(

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Is the jumper set to master / slave for whatever you need?

3. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

It's set to master... The other settings noted on the drive are CS enabled and Cap limit, but it is set to MS(Master)

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

5. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

I have everything booted on a new drive so I can start it. When I plug it in, it tries to read it when it boots, beeps several times then tells me that there was an error on slave 2, then I can hit F1 and it boots up. It also tries to read it again while windows turns on and then stops. It doesn't show at all in "my computer". I started downloading one of the maxtor tools (powermax) that checks the drive, but it said that I have to have a floppy drive, which I don't.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Sure it is not the mother board doing the beeping? If it is the board have a look here.

7. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

Yes, I am sure. Take the drive out, no more beeping.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds