Maxtor HDD possible problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lubetek, May 1, 2006.

1. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

So for those that own Maxtor hard drives, what do you think?

I bought a 300gb 16mb ATA 133 drive and a couple things I've noticed.

1. it makes noise when seeking. maybe I'm used to Western Digital because I have never heard ANY of my WD drives make noise. It's nothing I can't live with just not used to it. (it's not that loud but I do hear it)

2. Ever since I installed this drive I have noticed that when I cut and paste folders into another folder that it isn't quick. the pc doesn't hang or anything but the file doesn't move at all for about 30 seconds or so. then all of a sudden it moves. I never experience that problem before. It annoyed me so much that I formatted a second time this past weekend. The problem is still there. Maybe it's not the HDD at all? Not sure. The only changes I made were putting in 2x 1gb sticks of memory, the HDD and a video card.

Something is nagging at me about this and I just hate it when my pc is not running correctly. I thought maybe it was due to over clocking so I put everything back to normal and reformatted. the problem is still there. It doesn't happen all the time either. it's mainly (so far) when I cut and paste from the desk top.

do you think this could be a HDD issue?

2. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

I think I found the problem. Someone at another site asked me if my IDE drivers were up to date. They aren't so I will check that after work today.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds