Maxtor OneTouchII 200gb external drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BluesMan, Oct 27, 2006.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

This drive has been my backup for about 6months now. Suddenly when I turn it on the light on the front just flashes rapidly and I cannot get it to connect to my xp machine using usb or firewire. Is it toast? Or is there a magic trick im missing to make it work with my pc again.

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Have you had any windows updates lately, or installed anything new?

If the drive isn't kapuut, it could be a case of a corrupted file-system of that HD or partition!
    You could try and take it out of the case, set it to slave, and stick it in a PC connected to an IDE-cable.
    Then hunt around for various Data-recovery programs. http://www.techspot.com/download201.html

Regards...

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Check the Maxtor web site (I think Seagate bought 'em out) for info/support and for what any blinking light 'codes' might mean....

4. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. Maxtor is a pretty good drive. I had a WD external drive go south on me, once. I ended up buying a new external enclosure, ripping the WD drive out of its original enclosure and putting it in the new one. All was great, then. I doubt the drive itself went south...would sooner suspect the power supply or the hardware interface. Good night and good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds