maxtor or seagate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alarm, Jul 11, 2006.

1. alarm

alarm Private First Class

I have to choose between a maxtor HD and a seagate. they are both pretty much the same.

Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 300GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-150 / OEM / RoHS Compliant (Maxtor supports the EU directive for Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS))

Seagate SATA 300gig 7200rpm 16mb 5yr Warranty

which one should I pick?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I've always favored Maxtor, but a 5-year warranty is very tempting.

3. Sip930

Sip930 Private E-2

I use Seagate drives exclusively and since Seagate has just bought out Maxtor it is now sort of a moot point.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Go with maxtor.

5. alarm

why?

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Maxtor hard drives are reliable, plus i had one in my gateway computer for about 3 or 4 years without a problem.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree with the Warranty comment, nowadays it is unlikely you will keep the whole PC for 5 years and a warranty of that length will last the length of the technologies lifetime. You didn't say how long for the seagate warranty?

8. alarm

you mean the maxtor warranty. It's 36 months - 3 years

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

yep in both cases I wouldn't be suprised if we are having terabyte storage at higher transport rates (in 5 years I would estimate at least an expotential increase) for HDD so either or seems good to me.

10. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I've had over 2 dozen Maxtors, from 300MB to 200GB, and out of all those, in 8 or 9 years, 3 have failed. Although I said earlier that a 5 year warranty was tempting, it really doesn't matter-- if a drive crashes and you don't have a current backup, all a warranty buys you is a replacement drive, not all the data you lost. Maybe better to just go for the best price per GB... after rebate, of course.

11. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

Since 1989, I've used quite a few HDDs in my computers and others'.

Hard Drives failures I've seen:
    Seagate: 1
    Maxtor: More than I can remember.

Enough said?

12. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I've had pretty good luck with Seagate drives.

13. Deoxy

Deoxy Private E-2

I just bought Seagate barracuda 160Gb 7200.9 - the five year warranty is probably overkill but you never know.

I'm currently using a WD 80Gb - for me Maxtor wasnt an option - I had two maxtors - they both sucked - were slow and noisy - one got a huge chunk of bad sectors in the first 6 months.

Maxtor to me are the budget HD - The only consolation about my two failed old Maxtors is that they both cost less than $75.

I phoned Seagate tech support once and they answered in seconds and were friendly and helpful.

Try the tech support lines - they are often a good guide to whether or not the company care a damn about you.

If Seagate has bought Maxtor it's kinda messed up.

Oh - and try CompSource.com - they ROCK!! . I ordered my new seagate online on independance day in the middle of nowhere in Indiana and I had my new HD in 42 hours - door to door - exactly 42 between pressing "Buy" to knock at my door from UPS.
    I called them two days later to ask about a price match to zipzoomfly.com - I'd gotten the retail kit and the OEM mixed up but they got back to me in a few hours to let me know that if I hadn't gotten the retail kit and OEM mixed up and Zipzoomfly.com had had any Seagates in stock they would have retroactively pricematched.

They are gentlemen and swift and fair merchants.

Gotta say that's rare on-line in this day and age.

14. alarm

it's funny cause the seagate is cheaper

15. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

I don't know how well my knowledge of economics applies to computers, but to the companies I would say that economies of scale might explain that.

Seagate buying out Maxtor doesn't really change a whole lot. Ford owns Mazda, and yet there still is quite a difference between the quality between the two. Now I'll grant you that volkswaggen is a different story.

16. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The maxtor diamond max 10 is alot faster thats what I'd get its not much slower than a raptor,everyone has thier own personal story about the reliability of drives,I would never not buy a driver or component because I have had one fail in the past as thats just unlucky a vast percentage of people would have the same drive and had thiers not fail

I also believe Most Drive failures are down to human error they are made to such tight tolerances,manufacturing processes comparabel to to a space program,its much easier for us to break it than it break itself,many people would have had a drive die due to improper cooling or simply not using a surge protector or quality powersupply

17. alarm

edit: nothing, never mind

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds