Maybe Hardware Issue???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tombo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Everything worked fine before I went on vacation. Turned off my machine and when I returned, it won't work properly. I can't connect to the internet, cant shut down gracefully, cant run system type programs etc. Tried the old HD that I pulled from that machine two months ago... Same problems, that's why Im thinking hardware rather than software. Ran spyware dr and anti virus (from CD) still no luck. Did a repair install of OS after guidance from microsoft forum, now it wants to initialize windows, and since I cant connect... It sticks.

Runing XP home sp 2, 256 mem 1.4 athlon CPU and 120 gig Maxtor HD.

Way confused
    Tom

2. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Have you checked your internet connection settings? Using DSL, dail-up, cable, router?

3. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Yes, all are as they should be

4. Ruebarb

Are you connecting via DSL, dail-up, cable, router?

5. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

I connect via cable modem. Actually thru a router to the cable modem but I tried going directly to the modem still with no luck. The wife can connect from her computer with no problem (using same router/modem setup)

6. Ruebarb

Have you tried powering down the modem and router? Is this a direct connect or wirless connection?

7. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

yes, have powered down (first thing I did). This is a direct connect, I use the wireless for my laptop (it works fine)

8. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I think Tombo is saying its not just an internet problem... Did you leave your system pluged in ??? Lightning or a power surge can just as easily make a system run unstable as it can kill it out right... DL and run Prime 95 and select just stress testing..then go to options run a torture test...and run the blend test...if it runs overnight without any errors then its prolly not a hardware problem.......@ MG mods shouldent we have prime 95 here on MG ??

9. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Yes it was plugged in but the power went from a battery back up thru two surge protectors and a desktop power station that was turned off.

Hope this download will boot the machine and run from a command prompt because I can not get a windows desktop.

10. ACE 256

Oh you cant get into windows ... Get this then it should make a bootable floppy just run install.exe....If it loops more then 5 full times with no errors thin its prolly not a hardware problem....

11. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

If I were you, I'd check with the manufacturer of the battery backup about daisy-chaining surge protectors to it. APC recommends against that practice for APC products; it might even void your warranty.

I'm not clear on the reasons involved -- but I gather it may have something to do with interactions between the inductors in the backup unit and downstream surge protectors.

I've no idea whether this might be involved with the difficulties you're having, but I don't think it's impossible.

12. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Getting to computer to start isn't the issue. What it does after it starts is. it powers up fine. just won't run programs after it's up

13. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Tried the file you suggested. It wouldn't start the computer so I could not run any tests.... Got something else??

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, a quick question, the computer gets to the desktop fine? But, after that, you can't do anything?

15. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Yes - and no. Depends which HD is in at the time. The new one has had a repair install done on it and won't go any further than telling me it needs to initialize windows.

The old drive (out of the machine about 2 months and exhibits the same problems as the new one before I did the rapir install) will boot to a desktop.

I would like to restore the "new" drive as it has some updated info on it. It's also a 120 gb the old being a 20.

16. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Got mem test to run, ran it overnight... No errors. Any other thoughts??

17. ACE 256

Odd.. the only thing i can think of is a clean install of windows....

18. Tombo

Tombo Private E-2

Hate to do that ... Too much data that I don't want to lose (yeah, no recent backup).

19. ACE 256

Do you have a secound hard drive you could put in and install windows on it ?? That whould help to test if it is realy a hardware issue...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds