maybe wd hard drive is dying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex60, Jul 22, 2012.

1. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Well it looks like my wd hdd is dead or dying. Turned the desktop on a few days ago and got the message primary master hard disk error press f1 to continue. When i try to boot up the pc the hard drive starts up as normal but before it can boot into windows it starts to make a whiring sound a couple of time then spins to a stop that’s when i get the error message. Strange thing is i used seatools for dos to check the state of the drive and all tests passed, including the long test. So i tried to boot into windows again last night and hey presto the hard drive booted. While i was in windows i downloaded western digital data lifeguard for windows and both the short and extended tests passed. Changed cables and motherboard sata ports too. This morning same hard drive error . when the hdd is connected i can't even access the bios either only if the hdd is not connected can i access the bios. the only thing left for me to do is install the hdd into another desktop with sata ports and if it doesn’t boot then i know it’s definetly nearing the end of its life. What i can’t understand is why did the 2 diagnostics tools i used both show that the hdd had passed all the tests. If there is anything else i’ve forgotten to do to check the hdd any help would be great. In the meantime i’ll try and borrow a desktop with sata ports. cheers:confused

2. decadentdog

decadentdog Private First Class

You may find that alot of desktops will not recognize the OS on that HDD. You might try installing it as a slave or hook up externally to see if another pc will even open it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds