McAfee DAT updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by marmaduke, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmaduke

marmaduke Private E-2

Majorgeeks has McAfee superDAT updates from Network Associates. Clicking on Network Associates takes me to a "page not found".
    My son has McAfee on his computer. Everytime I try and run this DAT file, it keeps telling me there is no McAfee product on this computer. (The software IS registered with McAfee. Its legit.) I have tried e-mailing McAfee about this and they are telling me there is no official DAT file that I can download and install manually. I haven't a clue whats going on.
    The reason I'm trying to find out about this is because I still have dial-up and the auto-update files are HUGE and take forever to download. I wanted to get the DAT files at work then transfer them to my sons computer for a manual and quicker update.
    Anyone offer any suggestions?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The dat files that are on the pages at Majorgeeks you mention are found here http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp now, but if your sons version of McAfee is a newer version then the manual DAT file doesnt not now work, McAfee in their wisdom just has auto online update, especially if the product is one of the Internet Suites or a Free bundled one with the ISP.

3. Dipys100

Dipys100 Private E-2

Hi, I have exactly same problem, my Mcafee VirusScan details are:

Version 10
    Build 10.0.27
    Dat 5052 (last update 13/06/07)
    Engine 5100

My subscription has expired, so does that mean I can't manually update?
    When I try to open the latest Dat file, it starts to extract but then says :
    Error: Unable to find any qualifying McAfee Product(s).
    Update process failed.
    I thought so long as I had a higher Version than 4.05 it would update.
    Any suggestions would be most welcome, thank you.

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi marmaduke :)
    The DAT file's for manual download are available to all who have a valid subscription only. Should you need any further advice you should go to this website where the McAfee Virtual Technician will be able to assist you further
    http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=2057&sg=TS&pt=1

please note this service is for valid subscription's only

5. Dipys100

Dipys100 Private E-2

6. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

It's not free. And that link will give an error to people. Go back one page to the VirusScan link: http://uk.mcafee.com/root/package.asp?pkgid=276 and you will see it is

1-Year Subscription £27.99 (GBP) Save £12.00

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers Dipys100 for the link, but to save confusion in future do give as much info as to where this free link came from :)

Seems link is a bit up and down at times, so if anyone gets error page then linked to the Retail cheaper cost of McAfee, then the link comes from this banking site who have a deal with McAfee at present, I dont know off hand if this is UK only ( I in UK so works for me ) so if your from a different country, it "may" or "may" not work, if it does then great if not see How To Guide further down.

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/latest_deals/index.asp?referrer=online

Just scroll down page a bit and you will see link to Free McAfee for 12 months only, after that likey that you will need to renew at a cost...

But also if your after an Antivirus and Security software please have a read of this How to Protect yourself from malware! as its covers all bases, with some freebie software which is just as good as retail if not better.

To save alot of posts on Yes this link works in my country, thread is closed as this is for infomation only :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds