McAfee: How Do I Know I Have Retail Version?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArstechnicaSucks, May 2, 2006.

1. ArstechnicaSucks

ArstechnicaSucks Private E-2

Hi. First off, I emailed McAfee Customer Support but got nowhere. All they told me to do was uninstall the Trial version and then install using the CD. I'm interested in replies from people that own McAfee VirusScan. I know how to remove and install software. This is not typical. Here's what I've done so far. I downloaded McAfee's VirusScan Trial. I liked it and bought 3 CDs from buycheapsoftware dot com. I removed the Trial version via the Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs. I rebooted and then I installed from the CD. I told Customer Support that I could not find and menu/window in the McAfee product that indicates whether I'm running the CD version or the Trial version. Customer Service sent me an email giving me detailed instructions on how to remove and clean up McAfee. I did that and installed from the CD as they said but there is no difference in the info on the "About" window from when the Trial version was installed.

Note: During the installation from the CD there was no prompt for a serial number or CD key.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Are you sure this buycheapsoftware is legitimate? You should be prompted for a product key. I think you were scammed.

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi!
    You can go here http://us.mcafee.com/root/package.asp?pkgid=100&cid=16269
    and read the 'User Guide (PDF)'

It makes no mention of a product key, serial # or an activation code # for the CD installation

It does mention clicking 'My Account',subscribing e-mail address and password (if prompted) logging in to open your 'Account Info' page, locating your product in the list...clicking the d/l button ...for the Web site installation.

4. ArstechnicaSucks

I checked them out before ordering. They get high recommendations and good reviews.

5. ArstechnicaSucks

My Account info says that my VirusScan Subscription expires in a year's time. I guess I'm good. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds