ME no boot --Rename or Suspended Kernel32 HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by kevinbgood, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kevinbgood

kevinbgood Private E-2

Like a goof with no sleep I ran a trojan program and up popped Kernel32 -- Trojan program said it was safe but by dslexia I rang in rename -- believe kernel32 still exists but is suspended or renamed -- now my Windows does not come up -- computer shuts down -- right before it cuts out it says -- Cannot load Kernel32 -- then shuts down(in safe mode) or says (in normal mode ) safe to turn off computer .Help !!
    Thanks Dizzy and Dozzy Kevin

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You renamed the file? Do you know what you named it too? If so try booting up with your startup disc. When you get to the C:>prompt navigate to the folder with the file & rename it again. Reboot without the disc.

If you need help navigating around the prompt post back. :)

3. kevinbgood

kevinbgood Private E-2

Would be great if I had a start-up disc . Antone have a clue on how to get past the start - up disc ? I've asked a few know-heads and they joke about running ME . Is it possible to put XP on my computer with this Kernel32 problem -- that is loaded XP from the get go without getting to the K32 problem . ME was good for awhile but I tried and like XP .
    Kevin

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Grab a boot disc for ME here.

As for XP, if your hard drive is big enough you can set up a dual boot system. From there you may be able to get ME working again.

You will end up partitioning your drive so if you don't intent on ever using ME again then you'll have to think hard on what you really want to do.

If you have tried XP on your system & liked it wipe ME & load XP. That's the easier way to go.

5. kevinbgood

kevinbgood Private E-2

well I got to the c> prompt but the navigating to files is a question . Any ideas on the way to get to the lost or suspended files from C.prompt ? It is possible to open windows from C.prompt ? -- Kevin

6. kevinbgood

kevinbgood Private E-2

kevin here again...well I got the the prompt and it tells me to go to E: and says to type setup.exe ----when I do all I get is CDR101 :not ready reading drive E....HUH ? I did find the file on regscan and saved it ...but it is not at startup and until I find a way to navigate around this all I have is the ability to switch drives . HEP !!

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Why do you want to type setup.exe. Is that the file you found on regscan? What is it suppose to do? Is it on a floppy? Need lots more info.

To navigate around dos (command prompt) do something like this>

C:\cd windows (enter)

C:\WINDOWS cd system (enter)

Gets you here C:\WINDOWS\system

cd changes you to the folder.........all depends on where the file is that want to change the name of.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds