Measuring how much bandwisth an application uses

Discussion in 'Software' started by bob3690, Jul 17, 2007.

1. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

I have a program which continually downloads data off the internet. Is there a way of measuring how much bandwidth it is using?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes this app Netlimiter 2 Pro will do this http://www.majorgeeks.com/Netlimiter_d4185.html all you need to do is right click the app thats your looking into and choose Show Stats, it will show down/up figures for that application.

Pro version is free for 28 days then its costs, but they have a free Netlimiter 2 Monitor which will do same on individual application stats, but has less functions than that of Pro Free version listed here , it will also allow you to keep track of daily/month/yearly stats on upload/download as a total.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  3. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Excellent! Thanks

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Another option, free, that I have just started using.

BitMeter 2 3.5.3 at http://www.majorgeeks.com/BitMeter_2_d5603.html
    BitMeter 2 is a bandwidth meter, it allows you to visually monitor your internet connection by displaying a scrolling graph that shows your upload and download speed over time. BitMeter is freeware - ie. it is given away completely free of charge, there is no trial period, no time-limited features, no spyware, and no adware, guaranteed.

For some background on my search for a bandwidth meter, check out:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131377

Bazza

5. bigbazza

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bazza I think what the Bob is after is an application that will measure an individual application that has connected to the internet, and list its own specific bandwidth usage, over total network connection bandwidth, I know the T1 Mr T does not do this as all it is, is a speed test only, does Bitmeter measure an individual applications bandwidth usage as I have not used that app?

basically what Netlimiter does is list all applciations that have connection to the net and can list the stats of that application ie. iexplore.exe can have its individual bandwidth stats displayed, same for any other application that connect to the net, as well as overall stats of total upload/download stats ( per hour/day/week/month/year ) of total connection.

I think you may like free version it as you can export the data too.

7. bigbazza

Thanks Halo, I read that, and further research indicates that BitMeter doesn't appear to do it. :eek: Bazza

PS: for anyone interested in NetLimiter. (from MG).
    Netlimiter 2.0.10 Pro
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Netlimiter_d4185.html
    NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Win98/Win98 SE, WinME, Win2000 and WinXP. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic.

Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics.
    Date: 2007-05-02 Size: 2.58 Mb License: Shareware $29.95

WOW,:cool Bazza

===

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds