Media Card Reader 13 in 1 - Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

The Media Card reader came pre-installed with new system Dell Inspiron 530, OS Vista - There are no instructions that I can find on how to use it?

Today I inserted my Camera Chip XD into the reader at the front of the case, but nothing appeared on-screen to start up and transfer/look at pictures.

I looked at the Help section but cannot seem to get anywhere?

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Has it ever shown up under Computer?

If not, you could check device manager, but I'd have to wonder if maybe the device became disconencted during shipping.

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Adry for reply :)

Is that My computer to look under? I am not familiar with Vista at all confused
    So I find device manager or equivalent and take a note?

I will have a look around at the weekend when I visit my dad and get back to you then, if that is okay?

Cheers

Grumbles

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure. Take your time.

1. Start> computer.
    2. Start, right click computer>manage. You can get to dev man that way.

5. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Adry :)

Phoned my dad and asked him to try out your instruction - right-click does not work ? confused Brand new Dell optical (not wireless) USB (2 buttons scroll)

?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oh, how fun! :D

I'm not on Windows during the day usually, so...this might not be quite right.

I 'think' the equivalent of right click is Ctrl-left click.

7. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Ok, thanks :)

I have checked on the dell Support website and there seem to be a lot of problems with this hardware! :(

I will be in touch soon :)

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Adry
    I got the right-click on the mouse going :)

Looked in Device Manager, but could not see anything about Media Card Reader

However I have noticed that a wee green light goes on when I insert camera chip into one of the slots, like it is reading it; but nothing is displaying on screen?

Next post...

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Data (ribbon cable) loose, unhooked, or...something? :D

It could be as simple as unhooking and reseating the cable. We know the power cable is ok.

10. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

NO DRIVE LETTER IS ASSIGNED
    When windows vista detects the MCR, the device is automatically assigned a drive letter as the next logical drive after all other physical drives in the system. If the next logical drive after the physical drives is mapped to a network drive, Windows Vista does not automatically assign a drive letter to the MCR.
    To manually assign a drive for the MCR:
    Click Start, right click Computer and select Manage.
    Click Continue if prompted.
    Expand the Storage object and select Disk Management.
    Right-click the corresponding drive letter in the right pane that needs to be changed.
    Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Click Change.
    From the drop down list, select the new drive letter assignment for the MCR.
    Click OK to confirm your selection.
    NOTE: The Media Card Reader only appears as a mapped drive when it is connected. Each of the four MCR slots are mapped to a drive even if no media
    is installed. If yo attempt to access the MCR when no media is inserted, you are prompted to insert media.

Above is the exact typing of the Troubleshooter. I will attempt this on wednesday.
    When I am in Device Manager, what would the media card reader be listed as?

Hope this is of help, as it is a bit confusing for me?? :(
    Grumbles

11. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Had a look today at my choices, but I was unsure what to do!
    Just don't have the confidence :(
    After i followed the 'expand the storage object and select disk management' option, the following came up:
    Disk 1
    removable (K: )
    No media

The same displayed for G,H,I and J with corresponding disk numbers 2,3,4 and 5.
    Would it possibly be the USB Mass Storage item in Disc Management?

Hope that you understand what I am trying to explain here?

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, you lost me.

13. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Sorry :(

I have typed out the instructions as per Vista help, and I just do not understand what to do?
    Should I assign one of the free Drive letters to the USB Mass Storage ?

:)

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It should automatically whne putting in a card?

I'll do some research, but it cant hurt to try and assign a letter.

15. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks

I will assign a letter today and get back later :)

16. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    Here is what the outcome was:
    Start-(right-click Computer) -Manage-Expand the Storage object. This is where i found that the 13 in 1 Media Card reader is not listed so I could not assign a letter!
    As the PC is only 2 weeks old and under warranty, if I open up the casing to check the cable etc, surely Dell would then not agree to fix it if there was another problem?

Grumbles

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

post the exact model Grumbles, I'll do some research today.

Edit, oops, found it.

Ok, give me a bit.

18. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Adry :)

I looked on dell website, it is just listed as 13 in 1 Media Card reader for Inspiron 530 Desktop.
    I have emailed Dell so will let you know when (if) I get a reply.

Cheers

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

20. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Okay :) Thanks

How do I post a screenshot? Is it printscreen button and save somewhere?
    :eek:

21. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

22. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Matacumbie and Adry for your patience :)

I will not be over at my dad's until saturday morning (his pc), so I will try all your suggestions then and get back as soon as :)

Appreciated :)

23. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    Not wanting to waste anyones' time on this problem, for one or more reasons, I cannot get back on this until 30th August :(

Thanks again

:drink

24. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have attached a copy of the Screenshot from the PC. I have reduced its size, but if you need it enlarged, let me know.
    Hope this helps. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  25. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Back again!
    Tried this: Click Start, right-click My Computer, Manage,Disk Management and the Media Card reader appears as 31mb FAT Healthy Active Primary.
    So the system knows it is there (i think?)
    When you insert a camera chip or USB converter into the port, a program should appear asking what you want to do with the media?
    This does not happen.

I have contacted Dell who we bought the PC from 5 weeks ago and they have now asked me to run a diagnostics test with the disks they provided at purchase. This is something I have never done before. Any help?

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It should just be a CD you insert, that may or may not require you to boot off of, its been a good 6 years since I've used one.

I need a larger screenshot Grumbles ;)

27. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for keeping up with this post Adry :)
    I will post a screenshot on Wednesday from the PC in question.
    Cheers

28. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Attached screenshot as GIF file. Can you make it out. I have emailed a copy to myself, so can upoad again anytime.
    :)

Attached Files:

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, so Vista sees it as functioning.

Have you reset Autoplay defaults? Its in Contropl Panel.

Also, could it be the brand of card? I remember my wife's HP balked at certain SD cards until we applied a firmware update; it might be worth looking into.

For future references in Vista, type 'snip' into the search box under start, minus the quotes.

You can use that tool to take screenshots of specific windows.

Attached Files:

30. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I will try Autoplay in Control Panel on Monday, before Dell call me to try and resolve all issues (keyboard failure post in software)
    Not good business when the PC is under 2 months old :(
    After they call me, I will post back with results.
    Thanks Adry

31. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Adry :wave
    My telephone call from Dell today :( The guy was on the phone for 70 minutes!
    First of all I was told to look in Device Manager, then insert a camera chip in the Media Card Reader. Nothing came up on screen. So he asked me to disconnect all the cables from the PC and open the case. First he said take off the left hand side screws and slide open case. I was struggling now :( Then he changed his mind and told me to take out the right hand side screws. I asked him if this would affect my warranty, but as I was under telephone instruction this was fine. Told me then to disconnect the Media card cable completely and blow on it! Then re-connect cable, and put case back together.
    Put all cables back into PC and switch on......USB error (keyboard error), so it was reboot again, same message; then told to F2 for CMoS set up. He asked me to read out the Drives and then said he knew the problem.
    I needed a new Media Card reader AND a new Motherboard!

What is your take on this Adry? A new Motherboard!? Why?
    Steve

32. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A new motherboard eh?

My take on it is that he is a moron.

But hey, if they want to give you new hardware, let em.

33. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Courier came and picked up the PC - should have it back in a week.

I will keep you posted :)

34. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

The PC arrived back today and the Media Card Reader looks to be reading fine:)
    As it is Vista Home, I am still puzzled why Autoplay does not appear after inserting the camera chip in the reader. I have to go to Start-Pictures-select drive to do import the pictures.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Is Autoplay not in Vista?

Thanks Adry :)

35. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It is, options can be set in the control panel.

Attached Files:

36. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I will give it a bash tomorrow :)
    Thanks Adry

37. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Won't get the chance to look until Wednesday - their 'tech' guy is calling me then to fix this once and for all :)
    Will let you know the result.
    thanks adry :)

38. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Adry
    The Dell techie called and talked me through the Remote Assistance to connect directly to him. I am positive that it was a chimpanzee that took over :D. It was a waste of time as he did not know which Drive to look for :(
    The problem is not fixed and add the other keyboard issues, Runtime errors and you have one unhappy person here :mad
    Will update you with progress soon.

G :(

39. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    After a lot of communication with Dell, it was decided that re-formatting the hard drive to Default Factory Settings would solve the problem as well as the growing number of others!

Thankfully after carrying out the above task, the Media Card reader now works perfectly :hyper

Thanks for all help and suggestions

G

nb
    The problems I have been having with the MCR are a one off and the resolution given to me by Dell is specific with my problem, therefore anyone reading this should not copy this solution.

40. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds