Media Center will not run in a Window

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leepy Lee, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Win XP Media Center on an HP Pavillion M7250

It used to be possible to run Media Centre in a window placed anywhere on the screen. It will now only run in a maximised window or minimised on the task bar. There is no way I can find that it will run in a window smaller than maximised.

Been unable to find any info on this problem, unless I'm putting the wrong phrase in the search engines.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

TIA

Lee

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to clarify, are you running the Media Centre edition of XP or are you talking about Windows Media Player.

3. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Yeah, as it says in my original post, Win XP Media Center.

I purposely didn't mention Media Player to avoid confusion.

4. plodr

I don't follow you. Media Centre is your operating system so how can you minimize your operating system? The OS is either running or it isn't.
    Are you trying to say that the OS doesn't fill your monitor area? If that's the case then you right click the desktop, choose properties and then the settings tab will get you different screen sizes and color depths.

5. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

6. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

plodr,
    Media Center is also the programme that you use to watch TV, DVD, record music, display photos etc etc. Start, All Programmes, Media Centre.

On my machine, it opens in a full screen - maximised. In the top right corner it has the usual minimise, restore down & exit buttons. If I hit minimise - it does... to the task bar. But if I hit restore down it also minimises to a button on the task bar.

At some point in the past (when I first bought the machine) it would restore down to work in a window that could be placed anywhere on the desktop, moved & resized etc, just like any other window. This is exactly how Microsoft describes it works as here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/viewing/usecomputer.mspx

No, I don't want to use system restore to go back because it's months since it has worked properly and I don't want to undo many other changes to the machine.

The other thing that is missing from the Media Center windo is the small grab handle in the lower right corner which would be used to resize the window.

chaimjm,
    I've looked at the links you supplied but can find no information on this particular problem.

Is it possible or feasible to just re-install Media Center?

Or does anyone else have any ideas how to get it to run in a normal window?

Thanks

7. plodr

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Leepy

Try this..... (tried this method with Vista's Media Center, but should be same for XP MCE )

Minimize Media Center (MC) > then right click on the MC taskbar button/icon *not the system tray icon* and choose Move and use your kepyboard arrows to resize the screen window so its visable, then you can click once with mouse then you should be able to use the drag handles with your mouse.

9. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Halo

You are a STAR:celebrate!!

That worked a treat. I can now maximise the window then reduce it to any size. The resize handle has reappeared in the lower right corner too.

I'm still puzzled as to how it got in the state it was, because I can't make it do it now... but I'll live with it.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Lee

10. DavidGP

Hi Lee

Sometimes Windows has mind of its own or more like "PC Forgetfullness" and looses what settings have been defaulty set, so does its own thing randomly so no main cause, just a head scratcher for us users.

No probs glad what works in Vista MC works for XP MCE.

11. cspin99

cspin99 Private E-2

OMG thank u! I've been having this problem for months and that fixed it for me too! I don't know what happened but i routinely move it over to my second monitor (aka TV) to watch it and one day it just disappeared!

Now if only I can get my other problems with MC fixed...

When loaded it gives a Windows Messenger Failure saying Media Center was unable to open Messenger. Please make sure Windows Messenger is installed on your system. (it is..it's in the tray icon area)

And the more troubling problem.. everytime i load, close, or click in MC...
    "wmplayer.exe application error" The instruction at 0x07673e88 reference memory at 0x09219c90. Memory could not be read."

And some of the programs experience errors when playing and go back to the beginning! errrr :)

Any help for those? thanks again!

12. DavidGP

Hi Cspin99 and welcome to the forum

Glad the help worked but for your new questions its best to start a new thread for those as tagging them onto an older one they may get missed as the question is different.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds