Media Player 10 probs - burning CD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-885913a7aa, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Anon-885913a7aa

Anon-885913a7aa Anonymized

Greetings,

Having trouble burning cd's using Media Player 10. Running on a Compaq with Windows XP Professional SP2.

Essentially, I need 700mb of free space to burn a cd, but I've got around 450mb free currently, and that's only because I've shifted the major applications (except Windows) to my D: drive just to speed things up generally. Run a defragmentation and CCleaner to assist also.

I've tried to move WMP to the D: drive and the cd will still not burn as it needs the 700mb free to set-up temp files! Is this a common thing?? Messages I'm getting are 'file may not fit' and 'error encountered' - something along those lines.

Is there any way I can get around this problem without having to fork out a ton for another 1Gb of memory for the C: drive?? It's pretty puny but the C: drive itself is only 3.90Gb in total anyway......confused

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

How big is your "D" drive?

Did you uninstall Windows Media Player v10 from "C" drive?
    And re-install it on"D"?, or just try and "shift it"?

An extra 1 gig of memory relates to RAM and not your "C" drive.
    It will make no difference to the size of "C". Bazza

===

3. Anon-885913a7aa

Cheers for the reply Bazza,

The D: drive is 14.7 GB in size with 14.0 GB available.

In all honesty I :eek: cut WMP 10 and pasted it to the D: drive - not sure of any other way! :eek: :eek: Should I uninstall WMP and re-download it to the D: drive?

I believe the RAM on the pc is 128 so not mega but could be beefed up to help speed things along?

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

The D drive has enough space to create the temp file needed.

Go into Explorer and right click on your CD Drive and select properties.

The final tab on the proprties window should be recording. Click on it.

Click the check box that says allow cd recording if it is not checked.

The box under that will ask you to select a drive for the temp folder to be set up,.

Choose your D drive and hit apply.

You have 14 G of space on your D so thats plenty of room.

5. bigbazza

Thanks for the quick answer back.

Cut and pasting programs is not the way to go.
    DEFINITELY uninstall from "C" and re-install on"D". Make sure any music is backed up, just in case.

Are you using XP? If so 128megs is really not enough.
    In fact for most MS OS's you can benefit from more than 128 megs.

Visit www.crucial.com for an on-line scan of your PC. It will tell you what size and specs of RAM you have installed, tell you the Max you can install, how many free slots, etc.

Also download EVEREST, for detailed specs on your PC at

www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When you run EVEREST, Click on "Computer" icon, then on "Summary", then on "Report" (at top menu), then on "Quick Report Summary", down to "Plain text". Save it to a file, as whatever name you like, (maybe PCddmmyy--with ddmmyy being the current date). Then it can be posted here for all to see.
    PS: Scroll down the report and delete all the stuff starting with Offset, to reduce the size of the report. Bazza

===

6. Anon-885913a7aa

Sorry for the late reply guys,

I've done both of the recommended actions from you and really appreciate your advice on this one, it's been a major (pardon the pun) help.

Cheers! :)

7. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Can you burn the CD's now?

8. Anon-885913a7aa

:banghead

Nope it aint burning that cd! Changed the CD-R drive for a DVD-RW drive and the same problem occurs - seems to be a glitch in Media Player of simply how i've set it all up.

Done everything the Help on WMP suggests barring shelling out for some new disks. Changed to other disks in pack, reduced burning speed, etc.

Any ideas?

9. bigbazza

How about trying CD+R, CD+RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW's. Buy 1 of each and try them. Bazza

===

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

A couple. Silly question first. Have you made sure you've kept the files you are trying to burn Under 700 mb? I only ask because of the file might not fit warning. A CD will only hold 700 mb of information.

What format are the files you are trying to burn saved as? If you saved them as , say, mp3 do you have WMP set to burn the files in mp3 format?

11. Anon-885913a7aa

Yep, the total amount is way under 700mb,

However, the files are set to save themselves, when ripped, as Windows Media Audio files. The MP3 box is unticked, maybe this is the problem? Should I amend them to MP3 files?

Is so, how can I change downloaded tracks to MP3 files?!

12. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Just Google WMA to MP3 you should find plenty of free programs to convert your files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds