Media Player Classic Hijacked my DivX Icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by tinutuva, Mar 16, 2008.

1. tinutuva

tinutuva Private E-2

After I reinstalled Windows XP and the drivers I started installing my programs. After I installed DivX I installed K-Lite Codec Full with Media Player Classic. When I went to my video directory all my DivX videos had the icon signifying that they open with Media Player Classic. I checked the properties and changed the Opens With back to the DivX Player for all, but the icons didn't change back.

I noticed when I right click Open With, Media Player Classic is highlighted by default instead of DivX player.

How can I change the icons back without uninstalling and reinstalling DivX?

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

To make DivX Player the default program for your media files, open My Computer, click Tools then Folder Options and select the File Types tab. Here you can check all of the things you want DivX Player to handle where you see "opens with".

3. tinutuva

tinutuva Private E-2

I tried what you said and first highlighted the DIV extension. Under Details it said "Opens with DivX Player" and there was a Change and an Advanced button. When I clicked the Advanced button the Edit File Type box opened and it had the DivX icon and said "DivX Video File" with a button that said Change Icon. It already had the DivX icon so I left it alone.

When I highlighted the DIVX extension it had a Change button but instead of an Advanced button it had a Restore button which restored it to being associated with Media Player Classic. I changed it back to Opens with DivX Player but it had no effect on the icons. It did the same thing as the right click menu which is just a shortcut to this action.

Thank you for your idea, even though it didn't fix the problem, it put me on the right track for the solution.

I clicked New and typed DIVX in the box (even though there was already an extension called DIVX), clicked Advanced and made the Associated File Type a DivX Video File. When I clicked OK all the icons for the DivX files changed to DivX icons. Then I clicked Restore and the Restore button changed to an Advanced button like it should be.

And I finally have all my DivX icons back!

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds